Getting some flight time on LEZ or Cozy

Hello, I'm new to the zone and basically will be building my first AC. I would like to start to accumulate some hours on either LEZ or Cozy and I was wondering how I'd go about it (contacts, CFI's). I'm about an hour from CNO and minutes from SNA or LGB.

Thanks.

Generally, you'll be able to find a Canard driver that will be willing to help you transition to Canards, although this assistance is usually granted once your airplane is ready to fly (or at least very close). I don't know of any place to go and rent a Canard for flight instruction (and we can't rent out your experimental aircraft anyway).

Many Canard builders are able to get a "joy" ride in a Canard, even prebuilders often get to try it out for a brief experience. But as far as accumulating some hours, you may need to look for an inexpensive older EZ and purchase it for your flying hours.

This reminds me when I was 20 and went to look at the Brand New 1993 Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo ($35k at the time). The dealer had told me that they didn't usually do test drives with the new RX-7.... buyers NEW they wanted the car, and usually committed to it before driving it or even sitting in it. Thats what building a Canard is often like... we're often very committed before trying it out.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

A friend of mine recommended to get checked out on a tail dragger since the landing profile will be about the same as a Cozy. Any one have any experience on this?

I hate to spend few years building the thing only to blow it on first flight because I only have an hour on this type of A/C.

You're not gonna believe this, but a guy on a Canard email list posted yesterday that if anyone wanted some stick time in his eracer, to email him. I'll get you his email as soon as he OK's me cross posting his information. Talk about coincidence!!

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

A friend of mine recommended to get checked out on a tail dragger since the landing profile will be about the same as a Cozy. Any one have any experience on this?

I cannot imagine what type of single engine 2/4 place taildragger lands remotely like a COZY MKIV or Long-EZ. Not in the pattern, not on final, and not on touchdown. I don't think you could get a larger difference. And yes, I have a tailwheel endorsement, and 577.3 hours in a COZY MKIV.

I hate to spend few years building the thing only to blow it on first flight because I only have an hour on this type of A/C.

Assuming you're a pilot, you'll be able to get some transition time in a canard (1-3 hours and 3-10 landings), and there won't be an issue.

But even if you don't, there are techniques and types of planes you can practice in to get close.

Wouldn't the experience of landing a taildragger where you maintain a level flight attitude to touchdown help landing a Cozy since you don't want to flair too much or risk your prop striking the tarmac? I rent mostly Cessnas and I usually land pulling the yoke close to my chest and the stall warning blairing which would be pretty sad for a Cozy :o

You fly the canards on---not stall them. The one rule to remember on takeoff/landing--never lift the canard above the horizon (better yet, make sure you have about an inch showing). Raising the nose above the horizon runs the risk of shortening your prop.

The canards fly faster on approach than what you are renting. You have to be more aware about speed control since these planes tend to gain speed quickly if you are not familiar with flying a "slick airplane." Faster speeds generate longer rollouts---no big deal on a long runway.

Wouldn't the experience of landing a taildragger where you maintain a level flight attitude to touchdown help landing a Cozy...

You're referring to "wheel landings", as opposed to "three point landings". There's not as much of a flare with a WL as with a TPL, but you still flare. In that one sense, it's similar to a canard landing, but so would any landing in a plane without a full stall flare. Many small taildraggers are TPL'd, however.

See:

http://www.richstowell.com/dragger.htm

For a good description of the difference between the landings in taildraggers.

As Drew points out, the landing technique for canards is a bit different than other small planes, and you do not have any of the rudder issues on landing that you have with taildraggers. In the aggregate, taildraggers are LESS like canards than nosewheel aircraft.