Cozy 540 engine mounts

Lets put this discussion under its own heading:

Announcing the Cozy 540 Engine Mount.

This mount is for a Lycoming IO-540 D4A5 (being verified) same as Chris Esselstyn's.

It is a very robust mount with larger tubes and six gussets. The upper attach point on the firewall is 10" above the plans top two points.

Regards, Chrissi & Randi

post-11-14109015849_thumb.gif

post-11-141090158495_thumb.gif

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

On the top single FW mounting point, thats 10 inches center to center above the two top Firewall o360 mounting points, right?

Looks quite lovely, those photos there=]

BTW - Happy New Year to you and all the Canardians.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Dennis,

Yes, draw a line between the top two mtg points, offset a parallel 10" above it, mtg point is on c/l.

...Chrissi

I love it- thats how I mounted my center hardpoint, completely by coincidence, it matches your dimension.

Since the Velocity Mfg boys were going to build me a 540 engine mount to the template I would send them...I didn't have to coordinate it. But since I am gonna get one from you...groovy that we are on the same page.

Whoops- Hey, I've got your chocolate on MY peanut butter!!!!=]

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I made my mount on the E Racer for the 0540 C4B5 but the engine I purchased had some problems so I traded the 0540 C4B5 in for a 0540 A1D5 and guess what, the mounts were different and would not match the mount I made. All you have to do is change the mounting brackets on the engine, worked for me. These little problems will drive you crazy.

Jack

E Racer 113

Jack-Is that why [i call them "ears"]...a guy has to make sure the mounting ears are part of an engine quote, when buying or looking at buying a 540? Because they are a separate interchangeable part? But a guy isn't stuck if he has the "wrong" ears, he can just buy a suitable pair?

The crazy thing is a 540 core is a 540 core is a 540 core, or so I was to believe. I know the "ears" are a bolt on item, so I think a guy could just hunt for the ones to match the engine mount and then you'd be in business.

Only downside is - it's like 300 bucks for a different set of 4 mounts, right?

Peanutbutter boy out...=]

Self confessed Wingnut.

Jack, thats true.

We only plan on making one of the jigs, they can purchase the mounting ears they need to match. If you dig around in enough of the aircraft junk yards you will probably find what you need.

Thats a lot better than dealing with dynafocal type 1, 2 or conical for any given four cyl.

We did make the jig capable of dealing with wider firewalls if need be.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Good idea to know about places like that.

Hadn't thought of it.

Can you give me a couple of those aircraft junkyards websites? That would be a great resource to have in my file..

Are there alternatives to barnstormers pertaining to that kind of website?

I am also looking for a 540 to rebuild possibly. I had a deposit on an engine to be built from a core with the 9:1 pistons in it, but am having trouble with that. So I am looking at options.

Thanks.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Dennis

I lucked out on my (ears) as you say, the builder let me exchange the ones I traded in for the ones that were on the A1D5 engine. Maybe Lynn has a reference sheet on what mounting brackets go with what engine /Air Frame combination, then find out exactly what brackets are on the mount the Girrls are making and go accordingly.

Jack

Thank Jack.

As Hall & Oats say..."I can go for that".

Self confessed Wingnut.

I'm having trouble with this whole ears thing. I mean, it seems to me that they're mounts for mounting the engine to the engine mount.

Would it not be saner to build the engine mount to hold the engine sans ears? At the least, its like 4 less bolts to fail.

I'm having trouble with this whole ears thing. I mean, it seems to me that they're mounts for mounting the engine to the engine mount.

Would it not be saner to build the engine mount to hold the engine sans ears? At the least, its like 4 less bolts to fail.

The 540 differs from the four cyl versions in that the cups for the vibration mounts are on the engine ears rather than on the engine mount.

You would not be able to bolt directly to the engine.

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

The 540 differs from the four cyl versions in that the cups for the vibration mounts are on the engine ears rather than on the engine mount.

You would not be able to bolt directly to the engine.

Vibration mounts. K, that makes sense.

Just as an FYI, here's a post Andy Millin made to the velocity builder's mailing list today:

I am using a parallel valve IO-540. It has come to my attention that Lycoming makes two different types of engine mounting brackets for the 540 series. This includes the K series, 300 HP.

The dynafocal 1 mount uses Lycoming part number 70456. $369/ea. new from Lycoming. This mount has a 30 degree rake angle and a mounting hole 1.380 I.D. This is the mounting bracket that Velocity has designed their tubular engine mount for. Velocity also includes the Barry mounts for this bracket in the kit. If you are planning on using the Velocity install kit, you might want to make sure you have the correct brackets.

Dynafocal 2 uses Lycoming part number 72306. $473/ea. new from Lycoming. This mount has a 20 degree rake angle and a hole 2.000 I.D. Different size, different geometry. You can’t just buy larger Barry mounts and bolt everything together.

From what information I have found, the brackets were specific to the aircraft installation, not the engine model. So, you can’t just say IO-540-C4B5 and be guaranteed you will have the correct brackets. Maybe you will, maybe you won’t. You need to check.

As there was a possibility of having the wrong part, my luck held. Ha!

I have spent the last couple of days working on getting the 70456 brackets. I have spoken with G&N, Mattituck, Wentworth, White Industries, Don George, Aircraft Specialty Services, Colorado Air Parts, Reno Aviation, Air Parts Inc, etc… I bet I called 15 different places.

A couple of years ago this was a non-issue. Engine building shops had ample supplies of both types and many were willing to do a straight up swap. Well, times have changed and the RV-10 happened. Van’s engine mount is designed for Dynafocal 1 and they have been soaking up the available supply. If a shop has them, they are not eager to give them up. They have plenty of the 2”, 72306.

I was very fortunate to speak with Derrick Slack at Penn Yan Aero. This wonderful man was willing to make the exchange with me. I did get the distinct feeling that he might not be able to make the same trade in the future.

FWIW, A.E.R.O. now makes a billet version of our 70456 mount. Non-PMA, experimental use only. Looks great. $93.75/ea.

Maybe Velocity will look into offering Dynafocal 2 in the future. Maybe people are moving enough to the Continental that this is a non-issue???

Another note just for general knowledge:

Velocity provides the Barry mounts 94110-02 with our install kits. Barry lists this as the mount for the 300 HP IO-540s. They list the 94110-01 as the mount for the 260HP IO-540. First, I had every confidence that Velocity sent the right mounts. But, since another part was listed for the application I figured I would like to know the difference. I wrote to Barry controls. Here is the reply:

-------------------------

To answer your question, the spring rates of the two isolators are similar and dimensionally they are identical. The major difference between the two parts is the rubber used to fabricate them. The 94110-01 is a natural rubber isolator, the 94110-02 is a butyl rubber isolator.

Natural rubber has better tear resistance than butyl rubber, but butyl rubber has a higher temperature limit than natural rubber.

I hope this has been helpful, please let us know if we can be of further assistance.