Modifications

gupri

How successful would modifications like a Subaru SVX Turbo engine and larger fueltanks be on a Cozy MK IV? Would hardpoints holding external fueltanks be feasible?

Does anyone know, what the increase in climb would be with an SVX Turbo of about 350hp and a Ross 1.85:1 PSRU? What sort of speed increase (Vcr) could be expected with that engine? Would a WarpDrive 3-blade constant speed prop be appropriate?

Would an Infinity retractable main gear be more solid than the usual fixed gear? It is supposed to take hard landings of a 2200 lb aircraft with ease.

It seems, that Brian Bishop, who was the 1998 - '99 "Thunderbirds" Leader and Commander, as well as many others, have convinced me, that the Cozy MK IV could be the aircraft for me. I have to say, that the side sticks were also a great influencing factor. Would be especially nice with the Infinity fighter type stick grips at only $175 each, fully wired. They come in right and left hand versions - sounds absolutely ideal to me.

I would like to thank all people considering these questions for me.

gupri

Well. Yow. Where to begin.

Look in the archives for all of the EXTENSIVE discussions about alternative engines...performance...etc.

Actually, not withstanding the giant question mark of the proposed engine you are proposing...a person can add to much engine to an airframe and have the capability to render themselves into oblivion.

Theres a great reprinted article written by an RV group about TIO engines and altitude and easily passing beyond VNE due to power or gravity.

Go look at all the information thats already posted about all your questions. Its there.

Theres a LOT of claims about aircraft related modifications and equipment that remains to be proven...hopefully without incident.

Good luck.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

How successful would modifications like a Subaru SVX Turbo engine and larger fueltanks be on a Cozy MK IV?

From an online review I found on the mysterious SVX"The 3.3-litre 24-vlave flat six engine... ...is at once the cars heart and finest asset and also its biggest liability for the used purchaser. Its an incredibly complex engine featuring IRIS, Subarus variable intake system and four overhead cams operating four valves per cylinder.

A single toothed cam belt drives both exhaust cams with intake cam drive coming from helical gears located on the exhaust cams themselves. Its almost as if Subarus engineers set about showing off what they could do, in much the same way that Mariah Carey never chooses one note when fifteen will suffice."

Erm, doesn't inspire me with confidence. With a thwacking great anchor like that bolted to the back of your aircraft AND extra fuel you would not get much payload for your beast.

No idea on the next three questions I'm afraid. What is the mission you are intending that requires these extreme changes?

Would an Infinity retractable main gear be more solid than the usual fixed gear?

I don't believe there is any reason to think so. Extra fuel in pods below the wing will provide an intriguing distraction from the destruction of all the other items you mention if you forget to put the dunlops downward one day...

Would be especially nice with the Infinity fighter type stick grips at only $175 each, fully wired. They come in right and left hand versions - sounds absolutely ideal to me.

Erm, that reads a bit like an ad there, do you buy a lot of stuff from K-tel???

Seriously though, they do look nice, but that price will grow when you convert to Pacific Pesos and add freight to Oz, and customs & GST & other assorted palm-greasing. A whittled stick or squeezing micro with a glove on with a switch on top will do it for me.

Best of luck with your project mate!

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Thanks for the tips, Edge 513. I shall check out the various sites, as soon as I can find them.

My main reason for the more powerful engine is the improved climb performance, rather than exceeding Vne. I found, that plenty of power can get one out of tight spots in a hurry when necessary. Other than that, a more powerful engine can be run at life-prolonging engine-settings.

Here in Australia most GA accidents happen due to underpowered aircraft getting caught in fast changing weather conditions.

Thanks again - and may you have a happy and prosperous New Year.

Hi Podman,

I like your kind of humour. The only reason I mentioned external fuel pods is that a possible circumnavigation would require a lot of extra fuel between Hawaii and California. Only on such a flight would the pods be mounted.

Thanks for your quick reply and have a happy and prosperous 2008.

external fuel pods... ...possible circumnavigation

Crivens! Fair enough.

My main reason for the more powerful engine is the improved climb performance, ...get one out of tight spots in a hurry when necessary.

Here in Australia most GA accidents happen due to underpowered aircraft getting caught in fast changing weather conditions.

Was talking to a guy in a Cirrus flying at precautionary cruise with the flaps downand dicky weather all around him a while ago who wouldn't agree, he sounded like he was sh#$%ng himself... High powered aircraft get into fast changing weather FASTER. A C337 at Waratah Bay this month comes to mind also... I would agree with your last comment if you took out the 'underpowered' and put 'weather related' before the GA.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

You might want to talk to Robert and Valerie Harris of EZ Jets. They manage to put a a lot of fuel in a canard by plumping up the strakes, fuel pods and if needed a rear seat tank.

...Chrissi

Hi Chrissi,

what got me onto this whole subject, was the website, which I found very interesting..... www.earthrounders.com/cgi/singles.php where a Swiss airline pilot flew a LongEZ with fuel pods around the world - in both directions in the same year. Very interesting story and also encouraging.

This is why I was wondering, whether a Cozy MK IV could be equipped to achieve a "Round the World" flight with enough safety. The Subaru SVX engine seems to have proven itself in 24 hour races, so should be up to the task.

I'm still wondering, whether Rotary engines (especially the Renesis) are using as much fuel as is quoted in some places. Have seen too many conflicting reports on 13B, 13B Turbo and 20B engines.

Thanks for your reply and tips. Have a tremendously good 2008.

Gunter

Dear Gunter,

The new renesis engine is probably 7-10% higher fuel burn when properly leaned (over a 4 cyl Lycoming).

...Chrissi

Dear Chrissi,

thanks for that definite fuel consumption statement. Do you think, that the advantages in lighter engine weight and smaller frontal area outweigh the higher fuel consumption of the 13B Turbo on your aircraft in comparison to a flat 4 or 6 of the same power?

Do you think it is possible to have extra luggage (or fuel) space in the strakes, a la Infinity 1 advertising? C of G calculations would of course have to be re-done before going ahead with such a mod.

Have a good time

....Gunter