West Epoxy anyone?

TMann

.....so I'm watching the Berkut video this weekend and I can't help but wonder at the response I got at the start of my build when I metioned I was planning on using the West epoxy system. It seems that West Epoxy is all that is used in the Berkut video.

So, what was that all about?

Is this an approved epoxy for the Berkut only?

They have a gallon can of 205 hardener in the video and mention that as well.

Richard, what say you on the subject?

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

The Berkut site lists the following:

West 105 Resin and 205 and 206 Hardner

This is the manufacturer of this resin system. You can find it at most marine supply companies, as well as Aircraft Spruce and Wicks.

Just wondering why they would use this sytem for a high performance bird like the Berkut vs. approval for a Long-EZ?

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Just wondering why they would use this sytem for a high performance bird like the Berkut vs. approval for a Long-EZ?

As has been discussed previously, the reason for the 205/206 NOT being approved for VE/LE/COZY's had nothing to do with structural properties, and all to do with cure times and exotherming.

Since the Berkut KIT comes with all major parts fabricated (spars, wings, etc), and the only thing that the builder does is ASSEMBLE parts with tapes, etc., the dangers of exotherming from large, deep, heavy layups is very much reduced. There's NO WAY you could lay up a spar cap using 105/205/206 without having an exotherm, but 2 BID tapes are no problem.

Since you're building from scratch, not a kit, I'd stay away from the 205/206 for any of the large layups, and just use them for tapes/filling, if I were you (and anyone else not building from a kit).

Good info here Marc.

I myself have some West on hand and plan to use it for my fill layer.

The question came up in my mind while watching the Dave R. show (Berkut Video) and in those tapes they lay up spar caps, shear web & skins for both the canard and wing (when building from foam cores.)

Myself, I'm using MGS 335 and have been quite happy with it. I was just surprise (based on previous feedback and research) to see them using it to such an extent in their video.

I was really hoping Richard could shed some light on this as he is/was the 'inside man'.:D

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I'm using the West system and have had no problems with it. I do not do the large layups like Marc explained. I bought my main spar from Dennis and will do the same for the canard when I am ready for it. WIngs should be no problem. I like it because its easy to use and I can get it about 5 blocks from my house, always in stock and no shiiping hassles.

Press on!

Tom

"Time flys when your building"

yeah ...... I would really like to know what drove the decision to use West in the Berkut kits. Could it have sommething to do with the CF in the build? The spar caps for both the canard and the wing are CF as is the wing skin.

It would be nice to know the 'how come' behind it.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory