long-ez firewall extrusions?

Mynor M B

Hi every body, I'm building a long-EZ that was started by another builder, and then sold to two other long-EZ builders, so I am the fourth builder of this airplane and I am checking every detail again:( , so I found the firewall extrusions changed and I am trying to find out what will be the best thing to do here, to modify the engine mount or to replace the extrusions for the original ones.:confused:

I am posting a photo so you can see what I’m talking about.

Every input will be really appreciated.:feedback:

Regards.

post-1511-141090154523_thumb.jpg

post-1511-14109015453_thumb.jpg

Mynor M B

Long EZ

http://www.flyingez.com

If these are the square tube aftermarket ones that were sold by ???, then these are much better than the original angle aluminum extrusions. and will support a 320 or 360 with no problem.

I can't remember where I seen these square extrusions, but it was on a web site not to long ago.

Double check how the squares are mounted to the fuselage and the centerspar box. There are wooden hardpoints embedded in the centerspar box. the bolts for the engine mount must go through these and NOT the actual spar caps.

ALSO, After looking at your photo, I'm not sure you have enough clearance between the lower right mount and your aileron bellcrank.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Hi waiter, thanks for your reply, here is the thing, just as you said they are square, what you see in the firewall is just this 4 square points, now behind the firewall all I see is a piece of aquare tube --say 3/4" X 3/4"-- as long as the original extrusions used to be, I will take pictures of the back as well as some messurements and post it tomorrow. What I am worried about is that I never saw any extrusions like this in a Long-EZ before and I don't know if they are stronge enough for the engine( O-235 or O-320 ).

Regards.

Mynor M B

Long EZ

FOUND IT!!

Art Bianconi has these.

Check out his web site:

http://www.vortexgenerator.net/EngineMount.html

Please post the photos of the inside of these mounts, this is very important that they be installed correctly.

Waiter

Hi Waiter, I am posting here two pictures, one is from the outside and one is from inside the plane, for what I can see, I have the same extrusions that Mick Duckt used in his N7XR (you can see them here:

www.bridgingworlds.com/LEZ13B/LEZ13B.htm or you can simply write Mick Duckt N7XR in google and it will take you there. the reason I think I got the same extrusions is: mine are also made out of 4130 square steel tube with welded plates at the ends, and they look almost the same way of the ones you told me, so here are the pictures.

Thanks for your help, I think I'm going to keep them, and use an O-320 instead of the O-235-C2C that I already have.

Regards.

post-1511-141090154553_thumb.jpg

post-1511-14109015456_thumb.jpg

Mynor M B

Long EZ

These look very good, it appears that the bolts go into the wooden hardpoints'

NOW, Look at the aileron bellcrank on the firewall;

From looking at the position, I think your belcrank is going to hit you engine mount. Take a look at this, you may need to move the aileron to the left a 1/2 inch or so.

Waiter

that is true, I will have to move the aileron bellcranck to the left to prevent from touching the eng mount when turning right, that I will do next week, but back to those extrusions, do you think that is ok to keep them even if I already have in my materials warehouse the 1" X 1 1/2" X 1/8" 2024-T3 aluminum angle extrusions pieces, waiting for me to make my mind up?.

Are they the best way to go even if I have to move the aileron bellcrank?.

that web site that you told me, offers a nice set of vortex generators, which I think I wil buy cause been this (Costa Rica) a tropical country, you have to deal with the rain sometimes, so is a good idea to have them installed, Thanks.

Mynor M B

Long EZ

The box extrusions you have are better than the aluminum ones.

Put the aluminum angles in your "spare Part" basket.

If you already have the original GU canard, the vortex generators are probably a good idea. If you haven't built the canard yet, I would strongly recomment building the Rontz canard.

Waiter