Forward hinge canopy/Aft Hinge Turtleback

CFernandez

So what do you think about on a long drive or commute.

Lately I've been thinking about a forward hinged canopy and the turtleback on my plans AeroCanard.

Here it goes... I want to move the turtleback cut line back exactly 12", split the turtleback (just behind the shoulder support) from the forward canopy portion. This will give me a forward hinged canopy and aft hinged turtleback. This would leave 5" of turtleback at the top of the firewall and 15" along the longeron. I plan to gusset the firewall near the engine mounts.

The plans leave 17" at the top and 27" along the longeron.

The reason is I want a one piece window in the back instead of two. Worth it or not, I don't know yet. I know it will add weight and time to build. It's fun to think about while driving though.

Your thoughts?

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

I like the idea and have been thinking to do something similar:

• Forward opening canopy, cut just aft of the headrest
  • SIDE opening rear section, similar to plans
I haven't decided whether to go deeper in the rear opening, but I think it's a simple matter of reinforcing the firewall-turtleback area as you point out. The only issue I see is that by doing so, you would also probably NOT want to have windows in that smaller area, which would actually reduce passenger visibility.

See the attached for Ron Wilsons Cosy Classic, which won Grand Champion at OSH 2000. Why not hinge the rear side opening canopy at a lower point?

post-386-141090154423_thumb.jpg

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

The reason is I want a one piece window in the back instead of two.

I wanted to do the same thing. I talked to Chrissy about a year ago about it. They tried it and it didn't work. She said the window made it very flimsey and were afraid of the lack of support on the firewall.

Better add months to your build for this mod. My FHC added 4 months for me.

Do you have any pictures of your FHC installation?

I'm going to use trunk lid hinges out of a Pontiac. They are just over 12" which should fit inbetween F28 and IP. I think... I will probably need additional or stronger pistons if the plans canopy is kept and one piece.

We'll see.

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

She said the window made it very flimsey and were afraid of the lack of support on the firewall.

That's a good point. You would have to add additional layups all over the place back there, which adds weight. I don't think it's worth it.

Better add months to your build for this mod. My FHC added 4 months for me.

Understood, but the one thing I've heard from per-plans builders more often than anything is that they had wished they had done a forward opening canopy. That doesn't mean too much -- could be just 2 builders out of 10, but enough to get me thinking.

I'm looking at the same/similar design as Ron Wilson's Cosy Classic. Of course I'm talking NOW, and without looking that chapter in the face.

Greg, would definitely like to see some pics and/or more info. on how you hinged and strutted your canopy.

I went per plans from Uli Wolthers (Wolters?) Except had to add hard points. Dave Clifford gave me the idea first to use car hinges. The shorter the better as you can see. He used Audi rear deck lid hinges and had to cut off the end. Thus no location for the gas cylinder. Mine are VW. The car hinge give more lateral support and doesn't shimmy even without the cylinders.

post-672-141090154469_thumb.jpg

Nice. I like the idea of using auto hinges... just need to find the "perfect" hinges. I also like the setup of the E-Racer.

Another bridge to cross down the way. I say this now, "I'm definitely doing a forward hinged canopy." :)