grounded long ez

bebecanchola

Is a long ez that has been grounded for 8 years still flyable ? There is one and I am thinking of saving it.....it's been out in the open rain or shine....... prop is damaged and I am not getting in it before a major averhaul takes place first...... can they resist that much and stay in good shape ? talking about the wing connections... :confused:

I know of a couple that have been tied down outside for 10-20 years that are still 100% flyable. The wing connectors in the Long are completely different from the ones in the Vari that caused so much grief. Have someone who knows the canards intimately give it a once over. Beagle (David Orr, the Canardfinger) can probably hook you up with someone very fast, and might even know about the plane. He keeps up on an amazing amount of information about the canard community.

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

This brings up an issue that I'm curious about, namely how can a buyer determine if there is UV damage on a glass plane? This plane in particular has, by the above description, been sitting out for years. Is there a UV risk, and how would a prospective buyer make that determination? Also, what would the repair path be?

Finally, as a buyer, I'd be curious about the root cause of the grounding and why it sat for so long.

Ben Hallert - http://hallert.net/cozy/ - Chapter 1 - EAA Chapter#31

The way I understand it (purely theoretical, my only experience with UV and composites is on boats) is that if the bird is properly finished it should be just fine. Unfortunately, if there us UV damage to the structure, I'm not sure it's detectable without destructive examination, either with a test-to-yield method, or cutting it up and making section coupons for microscopic evaluation. Delamination can be tested for with a quarter and some tapping from what I understand, but a weakening of the structure....doubtful.

Hopefully someone with more know-how will step in and correct me if I'm wrong.

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

The way I understand it (purely theoretical, my only experience with UV and composites is on boats) is that if the bird is properly finished it should be just fine. Unfortunately, if there us UV damage to the structure, I'm not sure it's detectable without destructive examination, either with a test-to-yield method, or cutting it up and making section coupons for microscopic evaluation. Delamination can be tested for with a quarter and some tapping from what I understand, but a weakening of the structure....doubtful.

Hopefully someone with more know-how will step in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Greetings D.

One thing that you want to do is learn how to do the quarter test.. This should actually be done at every inspection. It tells you if any delam has happened. What you do is tap the edge of a quarter (or similar coin) on the surface of the craft in as many places as possible. The sound that this creates will tell you if there is good bonded structure under the test point. The report is difficult to explain but is a clean sharp sound. If you hit a delam, it changes drastically to a duller thud. Find a composite plane and practice. (make sure you ask the owner first:rolleyes: .

That's my $0.25

Just looking at the wing connect fixtures (3 through bolts- assuming they are the same as the Cozy, I would have some concern about corrosion. I wonder if it is possible for water to get there and the washers used to align the wing. Yes they are cad plated, however in installation, this surface might be compromized. If they have corrosion, :yikes: this may effect the bushings through which they go and be a somewhat major job refurbishing.

those that have had EZs outside for ages, and have actually examined these bolts would have a better handle on this.

This brings me to the question, what can we do to try to prevent this type of corrosion, if indeed it happens. Although the bolt heads and the nuts are visible by removing the covers, the actual area in question is hidden from view with the wings on.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Rich has made some excellent points.

On my Long EZ ( 20 years outside ) I remove the wing bolts every other year for inspection. And every other year-nothing to report. I never have even had to wire brush them. That is not to say that the bolts on this Long will be the same.

It's an easy study. Remove the bolts one at a time and look at them.

You say that this craft has been grounded. That should mean it was flying at one time and therefore has paint over the glass and epoxy. If this is so the structure should not be in bad shape.

San Diego? How close to the salt air? Your may notice a different by checking the bolts on the engine mount and linkage attachemnts under the cowl. If these are not rusty or just mildly rusty, you should expect the rest of the hardware to be the same.

UV damage causes the epoxy matrix to weather away leaving the fiberglass weave showing. The surface will begin to look like a layup that barely had any epoxy in it. You sometimes see this on the fiberglass wingtips of Cessnas/Pipers that have been abandoned in the sun for years. It's very obvious. If the paint is intact and the structure looks good and passes the tap test (no delams) it's probably sound.

Canopies will craze after years in the sun but might still be OK after some buffing out--or they can be replaced. I would look for corrosion at the hinges, buried aluminum hard points, wing bolts and signs of fuel leakage. Most things can be repaired Good luck.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold