Australian Suppliers

AP3_C

:confused: Just wondering if any of the Australian Canard builders could make some suggestions on where to buy things like Epoxy, Fibreglass, foam and various other building materials in Australia or do you have to order them in from USA?

Jamie.

"An upsidedown Australian that wants to build an aircraft that flys backwards"

• 2 months later...

Hi Ya Jamie

I work in the composite industry in Adelaide for Bolly Props (ultralight props), Im using this forum to learn more about what materials are used and how to use them, but you should be able to get all the popular epoxies and foams from Australia maybe even in SA, if you know what your looking for just let your fingers do the walking.

If your looking for a certain brand and spec resin and can't find it let me know and I will check with my supplier.

regards Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the reply.

I know of your props, I use and have used them on my slightly smaller projects. R/C aeroplanes.

At the moment I am looking at using West Systems 105 Resign and 209 Hardener. Mainly because of their pumps that fit to the bottles and I have used the same stuff but the 205 hardener for my composite R/C gliders and have had a lot of success with it. (stick to what I am used to I guess.)

I have found that the cheapest way of getting the supplies is to order in one go from the states, but this requires a large initial some of money to be out laid. I am slowly working at finding suppliers here in OZ, mainly because I don't have the funds available at the moment to do a big order but can find the dollars to do small orders. At least that way I can get started. But will be more costly in the long run.

SPODMAN is another Aussie on the forum and has been very helpful in finding Australian suppliers for bits.

Anyway I will keep in contact and if I have some trouble finding something I will give you a call. Like wise if you want to actually see what is covered in a set of plans for a composite aircraft let me know and I could probably organise some time for you to look over them.

Jamie

From my experience, it is WAY cheaper to simply order the whole kit of stuff from Aircraft Spruce. You can (maybe) get divinycell here in Australia but last time I checked there were exactly two sheets of 3/8 low density in MEL and none in SYD.

You could get a type of clark foam equivalent from a surfboard shop in Brookvale SYD but they have gone down the gurgler unfortunately.

West System Epoxy may be great for finishing (very high water resistance as you would expect from a boaties epoxy) but is not recommended for structural applications on aircraft and is not as easy to work compared to the recommended items.

If you use anything different from the plans YOU are the new designer - and if you have not at least used the plans specified materials you may not recognise what the differences are. EG. The surfboard makers clarke foam is more flexible and softer than the specified product - seems OK for the turtledeck but not the instrument panel would be my guess on it.

Cheers, Tony

Tony

Cozy-3

VH-COZ

Australia

G'day Tony

At this stage I am only going through the motions of planing, I have not started yet.

Regarding the West Systems Epoxy, I beleive it has been approved for structual layups as per Cozy newsletters. I Will check on this but I believe it has been brought up a few times in various other threads.

Jamie

Jamie,

You can get the MGS L285/H285 resin system here in Melbourne through MGS Australia (try 0419 338 112). This system is 'known', but the Huntsman group encapsulate Araldite in Australia, and can provide vastly better epoxy systems like an Epon/TETA equivalent (Tg is 250F). I'd probably roll with MGS 285 for most large layups - it has very good infusion characteristics for wet layup. For small layups I cure at 160F using a box/garbage bag/tub and a hair dryer.. I can cure in 45 minutes, and continue adding to my part... For larger layups, I layup at 80F minimum, bag, cure, debag and step postcure everything ramping to 160F for 8 hours, then ramping down... You need to get the best out of your epoxy system.

Styrofoam is around, as is Divinycell. I can get it here in Melbourne, but the size might not be right. I'm certain it's available in Aus, but whether it's cheaper is another story.

I'd get all epoxy locally, spend 2 weeks sniffing around looking for local foam alternatives, and then order everything I couldn't find direct from Spruce and Brock. I think you will wind up getting 95% of your materials from Spruce.

As for building tips: Keep your cores and fibres absoltuely dead straight, bag or squeegee (per Rutan process) resin for reasonable fibre volume fraction and compaction, and postcure if possible. Use the hotwire to rough cut a core only, and get yourself dead straight aluminium extrusion and apply sandpaper with temporary adhseive to true up your cores.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

Long EZ VH-WEZ

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Regarding the West Systems Epoxy, I beleive it has been approved for structual layups as per Cozy newsletters. I Will check on this but I believe it has been brought up a few times in various other threads.

Jamie

Just for interest, General Atomics use West Systems for repairs on their Predator and Mariner UAV's

I know nothing of the properties of West Systems so take this as simply an interesting observation.