Aerocanard FG = Cozy MKIV with wider back seat?

Cazenave26

I have followed the different threads about the legal issues (limited rights/exclusive rights) and the mocing of the company ownership.

I wanted to be sure I am stating this correctly that the Aerocanard FG is essentially the Cozy Mark IV. The concerns about company ownership and legal issues not withstanding, it would be nice to have someone that has experiences making some of the pieces and can sell it in kit form. When (if) I ever get started with my project, it will be my first airplane build and the first composite work I've ever done. I'm sure that I could learn it soon enough and build completely from the plans, but saving a little of that time might be nice. (Who knows how old I'll be when I can get started :o )

Rick Cazenave

I wanted to be sure I am stating this correctly that the Aerocanard FG is essentially the Cozy Mark IV.

Your title of this thread puts it better. Basically:

• AeroCanard FG = Cozy Mark IV w/widened back seat
  • AeroCanard SB = Cozy Mark IV
The most appealing aspect of the AeroCad setup is that it can offer both plans and prefab part options for BOTH the Cozy Mark IV AND extended AeroCanard models.

The concerns about company ownership and legal issues not withstanding...

There's not much worth talking about here. Unless one or the other files another lawsuit, whatever is left to happen in the marketplace will eventually become law.

When (if) I ever get started with my project...

You can do it -- make a plan.

...it will be my first airplane build and the first composite work I've ever done. I'm sure that I could learn it soon enough and build completely from the plans...

Outside of some remote control airplanes, this is my first as well. Before I thought fiberglass/composite work was all voodoo, but after only just a few sessions with it, you'll be amazed at how easy it is.

...saving a little of that time might be nice.

Money buys time in this case.

(Who knows how old I'll be when I can get started :o )

Nobody EVER said, "I wish I didn't start as early as I did." Personally I WISH I started earlier, in my apartment, in my last house, in college, in high school -- whatever. Start now!

Hope that helps. :)

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Rick,

Ya, What Jon said.

I am in the processs of building an aerocanard SX kit (from the new owner Al.) It is essentially the same as the FG with a different windshield and back top.

I can't compare building the kit with building a plans FG, however I can compare it with building a scratch Dragonfly, which is essentially the same construction technique. The kit saves gobs of time. The prefab parts, created in a mold come out almost ready for painting. Smoothing moldless construction structures, as you create in the scratch-built, is an incredibly time consuming project, if you want it to be good. There is little of that with the kit fuselage, or strakes.

At this point, you still have to make all of the bulkheads, trim all of the factory supplied parts etc. and assemble. It is not like a plastic airplane kit that you put together as a kid. you still have to build a lot of the structure.

I hope to be making a website of my project soon.

Getting the kit puts the construction into warp speed. (well almost). The factory produced parts are well made and exterior finish, in genreal, is excellent.

I understand that the construction manual is being rewritten at this point, a much needed change.

If you are interested in learning about the construction techniques, you can get a copy of "building the Rutan composites" tape or disk (the EAA might have this,)

or order the DVD set from Aerocanard. (has the same basic info as the above tape plus the video of building an aerocanard.

WARNING!!!!! this set may become habit forming and necessitate puting a shop together for building one.

You can get a composite materials practice kit from aircraft spruce P/N 01-15000 for about 60$ and actally get epoxy under your fingernails (and all over your best clothes. :P

Best of luck,

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

I hope to be making a website of my project soon.

What's the URL? Any pics till then? :thumbsup:

I understand that the construction manual is being rewritten at this point, a much needed change.

Any word on when it will be done or update from Al.

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

What's the URL? Any pics till then? :thumbsup:

Any word on when it will be done or update from Al.

Greetings CF,

The URL is www. soontobeasitewhenigetaroundtoit.com

Actually, time is in such short supply, I will set up the site when time is available. Altough I closed my office to patients for the year, I left my house at 5:30AM to come to the office and do final paperwork for the year to allow me to get to the airport and glass glass glass.

All I can say is soon. I have collected bunches of digitals which I will be happy to share.

When I get it up (that doesn't sound exactly right) I will notify all.

I have no idea of when Al will finish the plans. I have done some rewriting of mine and have edited some of the videos, and I can tell you personally that it is a monumental task. Far more difficult than one would imagine.

Al is somewhat of a perfectionist and my guess is that this will extend to the plans. It will be worth the wait, however long that may be. The extreme cold in the Midwest will aid this as cold and glass, especially with high gas costs shift emphasis to working (writing) in small warm spaces.

Sunday I will be off to Palm Springs CA. for a week--Anybody have a flying Cozy or project there, or at Ontario airport??

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D