A Million Options PLZ READ

querk1a1

Ok here's the deal. I would like to hear eveyone's "Best way" to do this project, for instance, Vacume Bagging the Project as a whole as much as possible, Sand Blasting parts? Hand Sanding? There seems to be SO many ways. I and going to Start with the Fevor on a Single Guy can have ( IE no distractions!!! ok maybe time for the sweetie..but I digress....) and after following EVERYTHING COZY for the last two years I can't figure out which way to proceed. Any help or Ideas. I know I won't get rid of Hand sanding totally but it seems there are so many ways to make better parts than there was 15 years ago. I know that this seems like a never ending quest but for those expericend builders I ask for your 2 Cents if you were to do it all again..... Well hope this generates discussion,

-Jonathan

I'll get started this year or else..........

The BEST way to build a Cozy.... is to get started. Then, after you start.... keep going. Yes, I'm being a bit facetious. But, I see so many people in the "pre-build" statge staying there because they just don't want to jump into the water.

The key here, IMHO, is to do one chapter at at time, (the same way you would eat an elephant... one bite at a time. :) ) Don't look forward too far in the plans, or you'll get discouraged. When beginning a new chapter, skim read it, then REALLY read it, then go to the archives to research issues you're interested in, then DO IT!!! You will run into times when what you seek isn't in the archives, or you have an idea for a modification you'd like to boounce off others, then come here, but that will be the exception rather than the rule. The time you spend ruminating over ideas/data which are presently useless to you will directly subtract from the time you will spend flying your plane in the future.

Trust me, nearly, if not all of the answers you seek are there in the archives when you will need them. There is SO much to learn as-you-go in this endeavor, asking for the best way to do everything now would be like asking the ocean to be put into a teacup. (Let alone getting someone to take the time to type the "Cozy Book of Wisdom" out for you. (Which, BTW, is being constantly upgraded by other people as time marches on anyway. So why learn possibly antiquated ideas/methods? Besides, the replies you get from your question here may just confuse the issue with facts you don't need yet, thereby slowing you down more so than if you only had the plans to work from. You get my drift? This type forum can be a great place to find the latest info you need today, but it can also give you presently un-needed info which may be antiquated by the time you need it.

Of course, the safest thing to would be to wring our hands hoping we have ALL the wisdom we need to build a perfect plane before starting. That way, we'd never have to worry about crashing because we'd never get into the air. :rolleyes:

JUST DO IT!

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

You can't go wrong by simply following the plans. These planes were being successfully built in the SASE days, self-addressed stamped envelope. Before the days of email and websites.

Yes, some builders have come up with more creative ways to build a part. Some of these creative ways do indeed save time, some just use a more modern technique for doing the same thing. But NONE of these are REQUIRED to build this airplane.

As Nat said, you can't go wrong by building you first plane per plans. Try all the neat ideas on your second plane.

Turn to page 1. Read it. When it says to build something, just do it!

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

I understand your concerns in the prebuild stage. You have to ask yourself if the plans built A/C is exactly what you want. If so, follow the plans. If there are some mods in your future, see if someone has done them, do they work, how did they implement them. I had to do a lot of pre-planning as my fuselage was extensively modified. As far as vacuum bagging, I did a lot of it on bulkheads and the fuselage inside and out. I don't think you can get a lot of weight saving because you are in the beginning of the project and you are establishing your lay up techniques. Squeegee methods to get excess resin out. Vacuum bagging is great for holding the cloth in contact with the core. You will do a lot of hand sanding even if you vacuum bag. You need to sand peel plied surfaces prior to filling. I sand blasted the wings but would not do the fuselage as it is difficult to get the sand out of it. Note: the sand blasting is done to sufaces that have not been peel plied for better adhesion for filler. Don't be afraid to start. Hope this helps.

I know the best thing is to just start. I have put it off in a round about way...built a house this year, moved, then another house.... all I have done for the last 3 months is read EVERY site out there. I guess I won't experiment very much with other techniques. I'll just stick with MGS and be done with it. The big order will go in about a week or so when when I get back stateside it is there and waiting. There just seems to be so many ways.

Waiting to get home.....

Jonathan

Deployed ISO "Operation Deny Christmas"

At least I can spend my Christmas money on Tools now!

• 2 weeks later...