Where to get building materials?

rnbraud

Hello all,

I am in the final stages of selecting either the Cozy Mk IV or the Aerocanard. I plan to do a plans build version with only a few pre-maid parts: landing gear and canopy.

I was wondering if I choose AeroCad plans, can I use the same building material bundles that Aircraft Spruce and Wicks offer for the Cozy?

Thanks.

I was wondering if I choose AeroCad plans, can I use the same building material bundles that Aircraft Spruce and Wicks offer for the Cozy?

Thanks.

I would say yes. You may want to check w/ Jeff Russel via AeroCad just to be sure.

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Definitely 'yes'. The plans-built AeroCanard plans are 99.9% identical to the Cozy Mark IV plans and use the same materials. Buy whatever you like from Aircraft Spruce or Wicks.

The kit-built AeroCanard plans are the ones that call for the use of different materials (triax glass for example).

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Definitely 'yes'. The plans-built AeroCanard plans are 99.9% identical to the Cozy Mark IV plans and use the same materials.

Well, Carlos Fernandez, another AeroCanard plans-builder, pointed out to me that the one part where you'll need additional material is with the firewall. The 2' x 4' sheet is good enough (barely) for the Cozy Mark IV, but you need another 40" x ~4" strip added for the height the AeroCanard FG adds to the rear.

I haven't made my permanent firewall yet -- my temporary sheet from Home Depot works just fine so far :o.

Outside of that, you should be able to squeak by without needing extra material, but you'll find out when that happens, and you'll be a pro by then.

...you need another 40" x ~4" strip added for the height the AeroCanard FG adds to the rear.

Actually, Carlos suggested to me that the top of the firewall is the only spot where you need the extra material and that you DO have enough material to glass on the extra curve. This amounts to something close to a 18" x 3.5" piece of plywood to support the turtleback and engine cowling.

So back to the original question... to build the plans-built AeroCanard FG/SB you need to buy the same exact materials as you do for the plans-built Cozy Mark IV.