Canards near Mobile?

(I debated using the subject line, "Canards in LA?" but figured that the vast majority of people around here would think it trolling, having never heard those letters used to mean "lower Alabama". :P )

Hi, there.

I'm daniel, a new guy on the forum. I've been lurking for quite a while, but have finally decided to join the fray and start asking questions, the first I have is this: Is there someone with a Long-EZ or Cozy near Mobile, AL that might be willing to offer a ride?

I'm cursed with the dual afflictions of "engineer" and "potential buyer", so I'm looking for help making a decision. :o At the moment, I'm leaning heavily towards a buying a Long-EZ and building a Cozy, but the engineer part wants more data before committing resources.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

daniel

You are in the same boat I was. I still haven't finagled a flight yet...John Slade taxied me around though...but I now have plans and will start building this month.

For the most part, you will probably have problems getting a ride until you start building. Their are, I am sure, good reasons for this. Besides after you start building you will develop ties with other builders or flyers. As soon as they know you are serious, you will probably get a few rides especially as you get close to flight testing your bird.

The only sure ride I know about is to go to the Velocity plant in Florida and pay for a prospective customer flight. It ain't a Cozy or LongEZ, but it will give you an idea of what flying a canard is like.

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9

As soon as they know you are serious, you will probably get a few rides especially as you get close to flight testing your bird.

I wish it were easier to prove that I am serious! :) I'm looking to spend money sometime this summer, and not just on a set of plans. I'm still trying to decide which route to follow, but at a minimum, I'll purchase and fly. (At best, I'll purchase and fly as well as purchase and build.)

I'm hoping that I can meet up with someone either in St. Louis or Peoria, since I travel up that way extensively.

Thanks for the reply, though, and best of luck with your bird!

daniel

• 4 weeks later...

<Bump>

Just bumping this topic. I haven't heard from anyone else, and am hoping to find a Cozy somewhere around here so I can at least sit in one! I am (very unfortunately) unable to make OSH this week - even though I'm in northern IL - so I can't even peek there. :irked:

Anyone have a Cozy in the vicinity of Mobile, AL that I could visit? Or how about Peoria, IL? I travel there occasionally on business and could try to meet up after work sometime...

Many thanks,

daniel

I haven't heard from anyone else, and am hoping to find a Cozy somewhere around here so I can at least sit in one!

Daniel, I found my first ride by finding a couple people that had Cozys, introducing myself, and asking directly (and politely) for a ride.

As Nathan pointed out, the only sure ride is with Velocity, which you have to pay for. There is no Cozy factory -- just a place that will print and ship plans to you. If you can get a ride from someone, you should offer as much food and gas as the flyer can handle. Aside from that, money isn't going to help you much.

Check out www.aerocad.com when you're up in St. Louis, not for a ride, but to see the closest thing there is to a Cozy factory. Who knows, maybe someday they'll be offering rides.

Finally, make the trip out to Rough River. You can join the community there, here, or on the other places where canardians gather on the Internet.

If you're dedicated, committed, and persistent, you'll be able to land a ride. Good luck.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV