Verieze with Corvair engine

Rick Culkins

I own a Verieze in need of a new engine. The curent engine is a 0200 with prolbems and needs to be rebuilt. My thought was to up grade to the 0235 but while searching for engines on the web I found the Corvair convertion. It looks to me to be a good altenitive 100 to 120 hp, close to the same weight with starter and alt as the 0200. The price is around $3500.00 for a do it your self rebuilt zero time engine.

The prolbem is I can not find any one that has installed a Corvair on a Verieze. The best source for parts and information is William Wayne of Fly corvair and he dosent seem to want one of his rebuilds on a verieze. He said that the Verieze is an unsafe airplane due to its high take off and landing speed so that leaves me to figure out the engine mount exct.

If you know of someone that has already made this instalation I would like to know.

Thanks Rick

I own a Verieze in need of a new engine.

snipped ...

The best source for parts and information is William Wayne of Fly corvair and he dosent seem to want one of his rebuilds on a verieze. He said that the Verieze is an unsafe airplane due to its high take off and landing speed so that leaves me to figure out the engine mount exct.

snipped ...

Thanks Rick

If I were you I'd interpret his slur on the Vari-EZ's safety as a hint to the true or perceived reliability of his engine, just as the warning on two-stroke Rotaxes, "engine may stop at any time", and I'd steer clear of the Corvair. There are beautiful modern engines out there (Rotax 9XX series, Jabiru, modern common-rail turbo-diesels, such as the Thielert Centurion), why revisit Jurassic park?

Kumaros

It's all Greek to me

Verieze is an unsafe airplane due to its high take off and landing speed

Well, not exactly.

If I were going to make a statement on this subject, and I have on many occasions, I would put it like this!

Because of the design and nature of the aircraft, i.e. its higher speed takeoffs and landings, its not a good candidate for off field landings. In order to mitigate the risk of off field landings associated with engine failure, engine reliability is of the utmost importance.

Practice emergency landings, and alter your flying activities to increase your landing zone options (i.e. fly higher). Do these things regardless of engine choice, but be aware, statistically, you'll use them more often with an uncertified engine.

In other words, With the Corvair engine, plan on emergency landings.

Look on E-Bay, I see O-235s on there all the time. Find a LongEZ owner who is upgrading from a O-235 to a O-320. Work out a deal.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

I think the Corvair engine has been surpassed by many of the engines today. In its heyday, it was a vastly superior engine to VW. Its greatest claim to fame in aviation is that it is aircooled.

From all that I have read, the VariEze has a somewhat limited engine selection. This was one of the reasons the LongEze was developed.

If I were planning an automotive to aviation engine installation, I would research first if there are any Subaru installations. Still I think Waiter's suggestion is quite a bit better.

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9

I own a Verieze in need of a new engine. The curent engine is a 0200 with prolbems and needs to be rebuilt. My thought was to up grade to the 0235 but while searching for engines on the web I found the Corvair convertion. It looks to me to be a good altenitive 100 to 120 hp, close to the same weight with starter and alt as the 0200. The price is around $3500.00 for a do it your self rebuilt zero time engine.

The prolbem is I can not find any one that has installed a Corvair on a Verieze. The best source for parts and information is William Wayne of Fly corvair and he dosent seem to want one of his rebuilds on a verieze. He said that the Verieze is an unsafe airplane due to its high take off and landing speed so that leaves me to figure out the engine mount exct.

If you know of someone that has already made this instalation I would like to know.

Thanks Rick

Can't speak EZ ily,

However there is a lot of action with the Corvair in the dragonfly world. The person to contact regarding Corvair conversions is William Wynne http://www.flycorvair.com/ who is the corvair equivelent to Tracy Crook with rotaries.

I can't speak to CG or mounting ease, or even using it in a pusher configuration.

Wynne should be able to give you the info that you desire.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D