Help me decide please

SG1Fan

First let me say I'm a big person. I fit in the velocity XL. The kit is nice but the price of the kit(37k) and the finished estimated price(100K +) takes it out of my wife's acceptable expenditures. (And I would like to stay married :P)

A little background. I found the COZY in kitplanes and on the web. I've read all of the back literature(newsletters and such) available at cozybuilders.org. I'm joining EAA in april at the first meeting I can attend. I really like the design and simplicity.

Here are my questions. If I fit in the Velocity will I fit in the Cozy?(Dimensions according to specs are within 1" front cabin width.)

If you all are not sure if I will fit is there anyone with a completed or close to completed one in the Louisiana/Mississippi area? I'm willing to drive 500 miles to find out!

This is the last hurdle that I have before I buy the plans. Weight loss would help, I know and I'm working on that, but my lean tissue is over 240 lbs. So I'm always going to be big. Hopefully, I can be building within a month if I can get this resolved.

Thanks in advance

If you're willing to drive 500 miles, why not fly to the Ft Lauderdale area and sit in Bulent Aliev's (modified for size) and John Slade's (stock) Cosy's? It could probably be done for <$300 in one day.

That way you KNOW if the Cozy is the plane for you.

My 2c.

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

How would I get in touch with these folks? I dont want to impose too much. And I would fly commercial out there if need be. However, If someone is near me it will save time and money. Also, I keep reading where its not a good thing to deviate from the plans. So expanding it would be a deviation.

The reason i dont just up and fly to ft lauderdale is I just finished ground school and am working with an instructor/friend on free lessons(fuel cost and rent if need be). (I start in 3 weeks) I have flown before and have enjoyed it. Several friends own Cesna's and have let me fly them mid air.

Thanks again for your reply

You're doing exactly the right thing...sit in one.

If it helps I flew in a Cozy (Robert Kittler's) last September. Robert weighs in at 235. I weigh in at 200. We were "Cozy". If you don't mind sharing the same space with someone it is okay.

If you fly alone or with someone smaller (petite) routinely, Robert says it is just fine.

He also made the armrest on the sides as thin as possible for more hip room and cut down the center armrest to make the front seats more of a bench.

My 2c...

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

The Velocity XL is bigger than the Cozy by about 5 inches. The Cozy is closer in size to the Velocity SE (which is what I am building). As in the XL is like 47.5, the SE is 42 and, if memory serves, the Cozy is 42 at the shoulders, but slopes up (as does the velo). To use a base of comparison, again IF memory serves, the 182 is about 42 inches across, the 172 is about 40 and the 150/2 is about 38 inches across. The XL felt cavernous to me. I will gain some room by cutting down the center keel with my yokes instead of a center stick, but be mindful of the wiggle room for your, uh, bottom. FWIW.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

There is no question that you will feel more comfortable in a Velocity of similar size than you will the Cozy IV. The Velocity's controls run down the center keel console, so it does not need side consoles that take up valuable hip space. Also, the Velocity has a bigger "feel" to it because the fusealge is a nice oval shape top to bottom and does not have a canopy deck intruding on shoulder space.

But as others have said, sit in a Cozy and see for yourself. I think I remember there being one or two flying Cozies in the Alabama area, specifically the gentleman that helped John Slade with his transition training.

It all comes down to plans-built versus kit-built. :-)

You know, there's ALWAYS Sun N Fun in Lakeland, Florida..... A nice road trip from your neck of the woods. Could be done over a 3 day weekend. Arrive in time for the Cozy BBQ. Let us fill your heads with alot of BS. Then go to the Velocity dinner and let them fill your heads with alot of BS. Go home even more bewildered than before!!! :-) :-) :-)

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

The Cozy 4 is a better flying plane than the Velocity. you cant beat the wing.I am building an SQ 2000 I just got it. I believe it is the best of both worlds the styling of the Velocity but the dog fighter like flight characteristics of the Long ez.What ever you have just build and fly fast. I am new to the group and I dont have alot of time to spend in here.Debating if you have time to play in here then you arent building enough. I have found thru 4000 hours of building and 2 completed planes that the plans are good dont think to hard and follow the plans. You will finish earlier and fly sooner.Good luck to all of you.

David Hanson

...I have found thru 4000 hours of building and 2 completed planes that the plans are good dont think to hard and follow the plans. You will finish earlier and fly sooner.Good luck to all of you.

David Hanson

If you don't mind me asking, what were the two other planes? I'm curious, as my sister lives in Harrisburg, and I'm always looking for people in the area who are building planes too. Especially ones with a lot of experience.

-- Len

-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283

Do you need a Flightline Chair, or other embroidered aviation accessory?

I have found thru 4000 hours of building and 2 completed planes that the plans are good dont think to hard and follow the plans.

Although I agree with you, I'll bet you a soda, that this was not your opinion while you were working on plane #1. It wasn't mine!

I snicker to myself sometimes, when I read about some of the modifications, changes, addons, etc that people come up with. But you know what, Often is the case that a lot of these ideas are indeed, a better mouse trap.

Its funny how experience changes one perspective. :rolleyes:

Keep coming up with those ideas, If they look neat enough, I'll ground my airplane and incorporate it into mine. Thanks

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com