Aerocanard builders' experiences

CFernandez

Any Aero builders care to share their build experience(s) with the group? I keep going between the Cozy and Aerocanard.

My reason is I would like to see the design evolve from where it (the Cozy) is today to something like what the Aerocanard seems to be going (wider fuse in back, forward hinge canopy, etc.) However, I'm unable to justify the number of Cozy builders to the number of Aerocanard builders. Help, anybody... :confused:

I want my cake, eat too...with blue frosting...

Carlos Fernandez

CozAerocaynard Builder

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

Help, anybody... :confused:

I want my cake, eat too...with blue frosting...

I felt the same way, but after many months I came to realize that...

• the design is not in desperate need of an update
  • several improvements to the design are happening from within the builder community
  • some improvements to the design are available from commercial sources. For example, you can get a Cozy chapter replacement for a forward opening canopy from Uli Wolter, as well as AeroCanard FG plans to extend the width of the rear seat.
As for a forward opening canopy, there are only two proven commercial designs that I know of, and many one-offs:

• Cosy Classic forward-opening canopy design from Uli Wolter (chapter replacement)
  • Eracer forward-opening canopy design (will take some re-engineering, but worth a look)
  • AeroCanard SX design (not yet available)
  • Builder one-offs (www.cozygirrrl.com to name one)
My personal choice for the rear width (which is not necessarily the right choice for anyone but me) was to purchase Cozy IV plans AND AeroCanard SB/FG plans, and to consider myself building a Cozy IV with a rear seat widening modifications courtesy of www.AeroCad2.com. I feel the main source of support is from the Cozy community, but don't get me wrong -- I'm very happy (legal issues aside) that www.AeroCad.com is out there, available to make parts for me.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I'm building the AeroCanard from the kit and it has been a good experience. Jeff has been very helpful and available. I built a LongEz before this. The AeroCanard has a little more room and I figure the more the better. It really doesn't mean any more work. I wouldn't even bother with the Cozy plans. You're going to spend enough money as it is what with CNX80, EFIS, Auto pilot etc. You know your going to want all that stuff.

Long Ez, AeroCanard

I wouldn't even bother with the Cozy plans.

John, since you're building the kit version this may make sense, as I understand the kit-built plans are different than the plans-built plans (the latter of which is nearly identical to the Cozy, except wider).

My decision to remain connected with the Cozy plans is simply because:

• AeroCanard SB/FG plans are based on Cozy Mark IV 1st Edition plans, and have not been updated with corrections since.
  • Cozy Mark IV plans are now in their 3rd Edition (several corrections over the 1st Edition plans), and have a handful of corrections distributed through newsletters to enhance the 3rd Edition itself.
With minor (but seemingly significant) measurement changes, additional layup schedules, nosegear changes, etc., in the Cozy IV plans, I don't see any other way to ensure the same quality of a plans-built AeroCanard (or possibly even kit-built).

The same holds true from the AeroCanard side. If their plans were to be updated, I'd want access to those details as well so that I could merge with my Cozy plans to build my "AeroBastard". However, the fact remains (at least for now) that there have not been any AeroCanard plans updates (for the plans-built offering at least).

Don't get me wrong -- I am supportive of ALL canard-related companies, and would like to consider buying a molded fuselage from www.aerocad.com, but I feel my concern regarding plan updates is one that should be paid careful attention to.

...merge with my Cozy plans to build my "AeroBastard"

:D That's probably the most accurate name for what I want to do also, but I'll probably find another name. I just bought a copy of the Cozy plans, which should arrive today, so my re-design is about to commence.

The Aerocanard SX option (wider front-opening canopy with wider back seat) is probably the most likely thing I'll incorporate from that side of the fence.

-- Len

-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283

Do you need a Flightline Chair, or other embroidered aviation accessory?

Do the Aerocad PDF's have the wider back seat option, or is that only in dollars-up-front version?

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

The specifics of the widened rear are contained within the drawings, which you need to pay for. The downloadable PDFs will not suffice for building a plane, or even modifying a Cozy Mark IV to have a wider rear.