Micro slurry

Gothic-crow

Can I Micro slurry the foam and let it cure first before I start to glass?

I suspect the micro is to seal the foam and to give a better grip for the epoxy. Also, when you micro, do you fill in all the pinholes so the foam is completely smooth or just brush it on?

I ask this because I'm going to do alot of vacuum infusion and bagging.

I've read the points on why not to vacuum bag but its how I want to do it.

with Vacuum infusion you lay everything down first and dry. make sure every thing is set in place, seal it, check it, then flow the epoxy.

To start with, you appear to have started building and I haven't, so consider my comments on that basis. I think you need to have another look at the method described in the plans coz your comments make me think you haven't grasped it yet, and Nat lays it out pretty clear.

The epoxy in the micro is there to bond the fibreglass to the foam. The microballoons are in the epoxy to keep the weight of this essential bonding to a minimum. If you just smear the micro around and let it cure I expect it would have the following effect:

:scared: A rough surface that the fg will not lay over, an even worse bond than bare foam,

:scared: A shiny surface to the micro that will not bond well to the fg.

As I understand the process you must spread the micro over the foam, then scrape it off with a rubber squeegee til you get a smooth surface. Before it cures lather on the epoxy & layup the fg.

If you let the micro dry you would have to sand it back to get a mechanical bond going - in lieu of the chemical bond you have forsaken.

The other contentious concept is "hard-shelling" which you search through the archives for, then not do...

Hope your having fun in the build, I am fairly jealous :)

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Can I Micro slurry the foam and let it cure first before I start to glass?

Mark's 2nd :scared: point is correct -- if you slurry the foam properly, it's going to be like a sheet of glass when it cures and will not bond well to the next layer. It doesn't make much sense to sand it either... you'll just need to do that part by hand. The only thing I can think of is to vacuum bag peel ply onto it, but why not get the layup going instead?

I ask this because I'm going to do alot of vacuum infusion and bagging. I've read the points on why not to vacuum bag but its how I want to do it. with Vacuum infusion you lay everything down first and dry. make sure every thing is set in place, seal it, check it, then flow the epoxy.

I don't know how vacuum infusion works, but I am setting up to vacuum bag as well using this technique.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV