What's a Cosmo?

Dave sent me a PM, but there seem to be problems with the PM system right now, so I'm replying here. I hope you don't mind, Dave. The question's pretty generic anyway.....

clifford wrote on 04-01-2004 12:26 PM:

John,

Can you tell me or do you know if the rotary your using is the "Cosmo" engine. I know yours is a third generation, but are all third generations cosmo's? I,m looking for mine now. Thanks

Dave Clifford

No, Dave. Mine's a 13B REW model out of a '93 RX7 which is the typical "3rd gen". The Cosmo is a different animal. Similar, but different in some areas like the housing bolts for fitting the redrive and engine mounts. Might add some complications, but probably worth it for the extra power. There are 2 and 3 rotor cosmos. A 3 rotor cosmo is a serious beast.

Bulent Alieve has a 2 rotor cosmo and the ports are MUCH bigger than mine. Mine are MUCH bigger than a 2nd gen. Definately a good engine to go for.

Then, of course, there's the RX8. Question becomes - how much power can you use? Mine will take off at half power and zero boost. I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest of the power.... cruise 100kts over vne???

:scared:

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Just to add a little to what John said... the Cosmo is a car made by Mazda for the Japanese market. It was never imported to the United States because Mazda didn't believe it could sell a $50,000 car here. The engines were serious though. 2 or 3 rotor designs, turbo or twin turbo... and these were produced after the Rx7 stopped shipping to the states. Japanese emission requirements are so strict, that after 30,000 miles, many car owners choose to replace the engine with a new one rather than pay a mechanic the time it takes to replace all of the expired components on the "old" engine.

Performance tuning shops will bring these "old" engines to the US and sell them to tuners who want to give their cars a bump in performance. That odd looking Rx7 you see going down the street may in fact have a 500hp 3 rotor twin turbo engine. :bad:

There are enough engines being brought into the US (not just rotaries) that it is possible to get a good low mileage rotary engine that is only 2-3 years old. But now there's the Rx8 and the new Renisis engine that is here this year... hmmmm. :cool:

This ain't rocket surgery!

I have seen photos of the rotor housings of the second, third, and cosmo engines stacked next to each other. The ports on the cosmo are HUGE and are almost double the size of the third generation model. The engine I am interested in is a 1993 two rotor JDM import. I can fab the mount if I have too,,, I was set on just buying one from Conversion Concepts though. As far as the redrive goes, I'll give Tracy Crook a call next week.

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

Clifford,

Bulent is using tracy's redrive and the conversion concepts mount on his 2 rotor cosmo. The mount fits fine. The main issue he had to deal with was something to do with the starter. I believe he used the stock bell housing for an automatic and Tracy did some modification to let him install the redrive inside. I forget the details, but I know its doable - even looks better and is probably safer with the flywheel enclosed in the bell housing. Tracy will know the details.

If you can get a cosmo at a reasonable price, grab it with both arms. Try to get the automatic bellhousing too.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Thats great news John!! It is an automatic also. I got to get the better half in a good mood first before I bring up the subject. I've been spending money like a druken sailor getting more tools and supplies to build the new shop.

Dave Clifford

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

Thanks for the offer Mike. Do you have a truck or trailer to haul it? If not, I'll loan you the beast in my driveway. I gotta call them first though. One guy I asked a while ago on a different engine said no pick-ups. You gonna pick up some MGS epoxy while your there? You'll save money bigtime. Dust has the contact info.

Dave Clifford

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

I think it should fit in the back of the M-class. Those engines aren't that big.

I'll be going to Toronto Thursday night the 22nd. I'll make my pick-ups on Friday the 23rd.

I have to get that contact info from dust again. I may have his voice message saved here at work.

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

I picked up an old RX7 engine in dallas in my car (Audi A4) Thinking no problems, this thing is tiny.

Well with all the accesories bolted on it's not so tiny, It was a major Pita to get it in there, and then get it out again.

How high is the lift gate on that SUV? make sure they have a cherry picker to help get it in there.

Cheers,

Aaron

I picked mine up and heaved it into the back of my Ford F-150. It was a BEAR!

It weighs close to 350 lbs with all the goodies. If you need a strap, use a seat belt from an old junk car and tie it through the lift rings. It WILL roll! So tie it down good!

If you have time and a metric wrench set, it will take about 20 minutes to get the exhaust manifold off. The rest of it is tied in with the wiring harness and is hard to seperate. Keep the oil filter and motor mount on and keep it upright or it will leak oil and/or coolant.

Of course, if it is a short block you're cool already.

Have fun! (eh!)

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

I don't think you want leaking fluids and oil all over the cargo area of your Mercedes SUV Mike!:scared: Very generous offer though. I got the green light from the better half so "Auction Sniper" will handle the bidding for me. I'll know tomorrow night if she's mine. :rolleyes:

Dave Clifford

Cozy MKIV Plans #656