Retracts or Fixed... Opinions / Experience

cmims

Ah, The Photo, I love it..

Math time.

I just sent Jack a check for $1800. I can probably sell the old nose retract on E-Bay for $50. This comes with a boston gear that is clean on one side. Absolutly no gain in speed, and I loose my emergency brake. NET COST $1,800 for one wheel.

Infinity Gear, $5,500. I can probably sell my old bow for $700, This brings it back to $4,800, or $2,400 per wheel.

Out of this, I get 15 - 20 kts, and "cool factor" that is off the scale.

Looking at it on a cost per wheel, I think its very competitive.

(Hey, I sold it to my wife like this)

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

More of on esthetical opinion here, but I think that the nose gear should be retractable, and the main gear should stay lowered. An airplane which has all gear retracted kinda looks too soulless and empty for me. An alternately solution would be also that the nose gear would still completely retract inside the fuselage, and the main/rear gear would move to an more aerodynamic angle, perhaps preferring the movement to the rear of the plane.

• 1 year later...

One of the factors that should be considered (in my opinion) is where you will do most of your flying. What I mean is that should 90% of your flying be within range of an airport should you have an emergency, I believe fixed gearis a good choice. However if you will be doing alot of flying over water (as I probably will), or away from sufficiently leveled landing sites I feel that retracted gear could significantly reduce your chance of flipping over. In this case its not a speed issue, as a 'keeping your head above water' issue. On a different note, the forum is great and I'm learning alot, keep it up all! :D