Twin Engine Cozy?

mlefebvre

Hello All,

Just throwing another idea out there for discussion. Has anyone attempted a twin engine cozy? I saw that there was a cozy built in south america that had a single axis twin prop, but wondered if anyone attempted one in the same spirit as the Beech Starship?

Marc

Tis far easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Can you tell us what is under the cowlings?

Jabiru, according to John Slade's registry site

NAME: Mike Bowden

ADDR:

CITY: Smyrna

STATE: TN

ZIP:

PHONE_HOME:

LOC_FIELD: MQY

BUILDER: yes

MODEL: Twin EZ MSI

REG: N102ML

FLYING: yes

WORKING: Test flights

TODO: A/c has flown 12 hours to this date.

ENGINE: 2 Jabiru

HP: 80 each

HOURS: 12

HOURSDATE: 11/2000

Omar Filipovic
Kitplanes Magazine web editor

WICKED!! That's exactly what I am talking about!! So kewl... I wonder if that guy is on this forum cause I would love to hear about the impact on performance, range, etc... What the pros and cons have turned out to be.

For my cozy I would love to do that as I want it to be a trans-pacific flyer for me and having an extra powerplant is the kind of redundancy I would need for extra safety, although, I am sure a single powerplant would probably make the trip, but, cant help adding extra margin of safety.

Maybe I should drop that guy a line and inquire more about it. Or maybe invite him here to post about it. Does anyone here know him or have an email address for him? Thanks.

Marc

I also noticed on John Slade's registry site that there is a guy who is building a TWIN COZY:

WEB: None

NAME: David V. Coscio

MODEL: Highly modified Mark IV twin pusher

REG: none

FLYING: no

STAGE: 10

WORKING: Wings

TODO: Canopy,winglets,control systems,

strakes,cowlings,engines and electrical

ENGINE: Two lycoming 0-320's 160 hp each

HP: 320

PROP: two three bladed props

MODS: Stretched fuselage 8" behind front seat

bulkhead,lengthened nose 18", Electric nose gear,

Velocity type retractable main gear, cs spar

24"wider and beefed up for the weight one

additional engine, rear seat 20 gal sump,

total fuel 100 gals,canopy hinges forward,

no rear windows.

FIRSTFLT: n/a

HOURS: n/a

His email is listed but bounces. Does anyone know of this guy and an alternate way to contact him? Thanks.

Marc

Originally posted by mlefebvre

I also noticed on that COZY list that there is a guy who is building a TWIN COZY:

Originally posted by filipo

Try:

As a matter of courtesy, please do NOT post private information obtained from the COZY mailing list here (or in any other public arena). People are told when they join the COZY list that their information (which I collect, collate, and update) will NOT be used for commercial purposes and will only be distributed to people on the mailing list. They do NOT expect their private info and email address to be broadcast to the whole web.

Not only that, but this forum advertises itself as protecting people from unwanted SPAM and viruses, yet when you post someone else's email address (I notice you did not post your OWN email addresses) in clear text, you are exposing them to exactly that.

You both (and others in the past) have violated the COZY mailing list policy - please be more careful in the future, and do NOT publicly post other people's private information unless you have received their explicit permission to do so. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Is this airplane still around? I saw a pic on airliners.net of an EZ with the same N number (N102ML) and a single engine in the stock location. Here's a link to the pic: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N102ML&distinct_entry=true

I'd like to get some more info on this plane (with the twin engines) as well. Does anyone know who to contact?

While at this year's Rough River event, Terry Schubert pointed out to me that the once twin engine EZ is now a single engine EZ. Terry explained that EZs don't fly well when configured with side-by-side engines.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

While at this year's Rough River event, Terry Schubert pointed out to me that the once twin engine EZ is now a single engine EZ. Terry explained that EZs don't fly well when configured with side-by-side engines.

Stay tuned, though, the folks at Velocity have a six seat twin engined and pressurized Velocity in the works. Supposedly a twin is the one thing that get asked for more than anything. I think they're working this behind the UAV and BRS chute projects, though. They've been shopping a model of the thing at all of the airshows to calibrate the true interest level.

It's a lot like the Korean test version of the Velocity, with a boom central rudder. I personally think it's ugly and a bit silly, but there are folks that just won't fly with one motor.

B

---

Brett Ferrell

Velocity XL/FG

Cincinnati, OH

http://www.velocityxl.com