Epoxy and humidity levels

Blackhawk D

I see refernece in chapter 3 to minimum/optimal temperatures for using epoxy in construction. I can remember seeing a reference to humidity levels being a factor, but can't find any specific ranges or limitations in the plans or newsletters.

I am going to bulid with the MGS System. Has anyone worked with a temp/humidity condition of 65F/75% with this epoxy? If anyone knows of a particular humidity limit, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks

Darrell

Darell,

I use MGS 335 down here in West Palm Beach, FL. I'm building outside on my covered patio. I've worked in humidity as high as 96%, but it's rarely below 70%. Gary Hunter or the MSG people could explain it better, I'm sure, but I believe the symptom of humidity problems is called Amine Blush. It's a sort of grey (I think) film that can form over the epoxy and stop / damage the curing process.

One of the reasons I chose MGS was their claim that it works well in humid climates. I never had a problem with it, even when caught half way through a lay-up during a thunderstorm. No blush, no film, no problem. Just a good scratch test after cure.

Bottom line, if you're using MGS I think you can pretty much forget about the humidity unless you drip too much sweat into the epoxy cup while mixing. Don't laugh. I've scrapped a few cups of epoxy for this reason. :)

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Thanks John. I was actually hoping for a response from you, as I have pretty much read your site from end to end and found it amazing that you were building outside. Florida is Florida and I was certain there is no dehumidifier that could dry the air on your patio! I was guessing that if anyone had a problem with humidity it would have been you.

Thanks again.

Darrell

You're welcome.

Actually it's not so bad building outside in Florida, so long as you have a pool, a good supply of old clothes and a good washing machine. Today, for example, was a four tee-shirt day. I tend to start early, take a nap around noon then work late. I'd take having the plane right here over travelling to an air conditioned shop any time.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

• 2 weeks later...

I put a small window air conditioner in my garage. It's primary job is to knock down the humidity. Plus, once you are done with the epoxy, it doesn't hurt if the temperature is more moderate.

For doing layups, I think ideal would be about 80 degrees and 40% humidity (or less...) Running the dehumidifier tends to help out with both of those.

Of course, you could always just work naked...

Nawh....when I work naked in Humid Houston, there is no cloth to soak up the sweat. Plus it bothers the neighbors. You don't want the sweat, or anything else to drip into your layup. So keep a towel around. At least IMHO.

Chris:D :P;)

I am thinking about the small a/c idea. Do you have it mounted through the wall. I don't want to knock out anything. I am trying to determine if I can make it portible and move it when not used. Thoughts? About the a/c, not the naked thing...trust me, it is not a thought you want.;)

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...