Fuel for rotary

dust

Can you burn jet fuel?? or avgas?? You know john, get all of the bugs worked out and fly it for a while and then when I build a hunting and fishing plane, I'll put one in, but really, what about the gas?

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Avgas is OK as long as you get rid of the oxygen sensor. Tracy Crook's EFI system does not depend on the O2 sensor, so if you go that route there is no problem with either avgas or mogas.

Jet fuel, I don't think so, but if there were a diesel rotary.....

Rui Lopes

Cozy MkIV S/N: 1121

Fuel will be regular gas with 125:1 mix of 2 stroke oil. You need the oil because lubrication of the seals in the car is done with engine oil from the sump squirted by a small pump. [poets - have at it]. This causes a coke build up in the engine. Most 13B racers and flyers remove the pump and use 2 stroke oil mixed with the gas.

>when I build a hunting and fishing plane

You're going to build a plane that can hunt and fish? Cool. How's it gonna work? A really long sharp pitot head, perhaps?

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Mount the pitot under the belly.

Regular gas from the corner gas station pumped into my saab, then pumped into the plane via a switched pump and pipe in the trunk when I get to the airport. I can carry about 23 gals per trip. When travelling I'll take whatever gas I can get at the airport. Avgas works fine, apparantly. Just costs more. I gather that someone is working on a diesel rotary, but I've got enough problems trying to figure out an intake system as it is.

I don't want that high preasure air piped through the cabin and the angle of attack too critical, not enough elevator to pull up larger game, thirty foot drag line is safer or maybe cozy on floats, i wonder if i could call it a cozy then, have to ask nat.

I was just wonderin about the lead and the rotary, not being a smart a, didn't suggest brake and turn signal lights, again.

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

John,

Do you really plan on using your car as a gas carrier!!??!

About a month or so ago there was a thread on the homebuilt usenet group about a guy using an old beater pickup as a gas carrier. Appearantly he was inspired by a story by Jim Wier in KitPlanes(I haven't seen it) where he describes how to add a tank to a trailer and use it as a dedicated fuel carrier. Seems like this would be more practical as you wouldn't have to make 3 trips to fill your plane!!!

Rui Lopes

Originally posted by dust

I was just wonderin about the lead and the rotary.

Lead's only a problem if you have a catalytic converter or an oxygen sensor. Since we don't need an emissions inspection, and Tracy's EFI doesn't use an oxygen sensor, no worries.

I'd imagine that lead actually makes rotaries more reliable (less housing wear) but then I'd be imagining things again :)

>Do you really plan on using your car as a gas carrier!!??!

Sure. I'll pump a few gals every time I drive over to the airport. This should be more than enough for my local flying. A car tankful should give me about 3 hours flying. Much more convienient than lugging a trailer around.

My big problem will be running out of gas in the car on the way home :D

you could always add a removable fuel cell to you car. Build it from fiberglass, shape it like the inside of your trunk. when you're not flying, store it empty in your garage.

That way you could always be sure to have full tanks. If I were to use your system, then I know I'd forget to fill up the car on the way to the airport.

The point of my "pump from the car" idea is that it's simple. Nothing to make, nothing to install (except one pipe), nothing to hook up and tow. All I have to do is stop at the gas station and fill the car on the way to the airport. If I forget, it'll take 5 minutes to head out, fill up and return. Let's say the average local flight is 1.5 hrs. That's about 10 - 12 gals. So, If I pump this much each time I go down, or 20 gals every other time, then the plane will stay full. Make sense?

It makes sense, just never thought of it and sounded weird to me.

Don't think it would work for me though, I drive a Civic and it only has about a 50L tank (13-14 US gallons).

So are you going to install a pump and pipe into your car, or will you just stick a hose into the tank and pump it out with an external pump?

Rui Lopes

--Today in the news--

Local motorists were stunned today at the bizarre line of fire leading from the local airport to the home of an eccentric local who neighbors say have been building a "backwards" airplane in his garage for the past several years. When asked about the strange phenomenon, the man simpy waved the smoking end of a fire exingusher at our channel 11 reporters then got in his car and raced twords the direction of the airport" Before he left he was heard mumbling "God I hope this doesn’t get back to them sarcastic **&^^%$# on the CC." - More at 11.

:D . But seriously, I think it sounds like a great idea. I'm hoping that by the time I ever get around to completing an aircraft, Auto gas will be on every airport. Actually by the time I get around to finishing an aircraft, you will probably be pulling up to the charging station instead of the fuel pump :rolleyes: .

Jake

p.s. Will you be putting some kind of inline filter in the system or will you be tapping into the line after the cars fuel filter?

:D :D :D

Very good, Jake. Sounds just like me, apart from the bit about it getting back to the CC. If you've seen my web site you know better. I'd announce the event proudly, complete with pictures and links to the TV station archive.

I don't think the car would start with fuel pumping from the transfer pipe, and I don't think I'm THAT forgetful, but maybe a warning light on the dash would be a good idea. Damn. I was trying to keep this simple.

I think the filter is right by the pump on most autos.

Is the pump you are referring to the EFI pump? Do you think it will put out enough fule to make refueling tolerable. I think I remember you saying that it takes 30 minutes to tranfer fuel from one tank to another on your plane. If thats true then thats the amount time you'll be waiting for the EFI pump in the car to do the same thing...

Rui Lopes

My friend pulled up next to me in his old Bedford safari truck at a campsite in Namibia. "Coming for a beer I asked?"

"I'll just fill up the running tank", he said.

Came back at 1 am full as a boot to find all our kit sitting in 1000 litres of diesel.:D

The Coconut King