Getting started

marbleturtle

>>I read it again. I had missed the part about .....

>Good practice for building.

No doubt! The agreement was so long I just scanned through it the first time. I plan on buying plans this winter and reading through them until it is warm enough to start building a few months later.

This ain't rocket surgery!

>just scanned through it the first time.

Exactly my point. Many times I finished something off, only to find it was wrong in some way or other. Sure enough, when I went back to the plans and/or drawings the info I'd missed was there in black & white. One builder likened it to "Scientific reading" where you read and understand every individual word. Speed reading just don't cut it. (or rather it will "cut it".... wrong) :)

>I plan on buying plans this winter and reading through them until it is warm enough to start building a few months later.

Beware of procrastination, the biggest enemy of the home builder.

If the budget is there, get the materials for chapters 4 and 5, the basic tools and the epoxy pump. Do the exercises, read the back copies of the newsletters, read the FAQ for the first few chapters, then get stuck in! Do chapter 4 (bulkheads) in you're spare room / heated garage / kitchen etc. Once you've completed this chapter reading the rest of the plans will make a lot more sense.

I went from receiving the plans to a tub on wheels (chapter 8) in 8 weeks flat. Note: I didnt do much much else during those 8 weeks. I so often hear people putting off starting that it jumps out at me. If you live somewhere where you can only build in summer, then you need a heated shop - see Jerry Schnieder's "tent" as one option.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

With 1100 plans sold but only 80+ flying (according to Kitplanes magazine), I supposed procrastination is something you see on a regular basis.

Without getting into too much (boring) detail, my decision to hold off until the spring is a practical one. One is financial... as part owner of a horse farm I have expenses that will be paid down by then. Another is time... right now I commute 82 miles one way to work, but will change to 3 miles in a few months. Another is location... right now we are renting but we will be purchasing a home next year. Warming weather is a bonus.

I try to plan most projects completely. Taking a few months to read through and get comfortable with a set of plans is only prudent.

This ain't rocket surgery!

reading ahead, two schools of thought,

to read or not to read

I am of the not to read camp, in my book, reading ahead is scarry business and can easily convince someone not to build.

The doing as you read makes it so much easier, you don't have to comprehend the steps needed to install the landing gear before you build, you just have to follow the steps when you get there.

We are on chap 20 and only read ahead by accident, we would then go through ritualistic brain cleansing methods to wash all knowledge of the forbidden knowledge from our spirits!

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

I agree that reading the whole of the plans ahead of time can be enough to make you run screaming into the streets due to the shear volume involved. However, reading ahead does give you a better understanding of how the parts fit together.

At a minimum, I read a new chapter in its entirety before I start it.

To each his own.

Enjoy

Rick Maddy

Denver, CO

Cozy Mk IV #824 - Chapter 18

http://www.maddyhome.com/cozy

I see no problem with that, we scan ahead to see if thier are any jigs/fixtures that are going to be needed as my woodworking shop is not the plane factory.

We then work on the jigs or fixtures during the week so that they will be ready when needed.

For example the main spar jig was a free standing tonge and grooved ordeal that took 5 or six nights and I started it well in advance of that chapter, same with the wing holding jigs and 12 foot holding/spacing t's

I just know how easy it is to STOP building and fear of a future chapter seems to be a major stopper.

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Our Cozy IV plans are written well enough that one can literally open the book and start building.

However, it's beneficial to read the plans cover-to-cover before you start building:

1. Better understanding of what gets built in each chapter.

2. Better understand of logistics involved.

3. Better understanding of the "process flow" (why am I doing this now in this chapter X instead of chapter Y). There are several places in the plans where something that's unclear in one step (chapter) becomes more clear in a later step (chapter).

4. Overall, develop a better feeling of where to find information (like antennas being presented in Chapter 22 Electrical when we first install them in Chapter 7).

Talk to Mark Beduhm some time. He actually did a process flow analysis (critical path analysis) on the plans and discovered better way to orchestrate the building process to combine steps and save time. His plane was built in under two years.

I read the plans cover to cover twice before I started building. I must admit that I did NOT understand everything at first, but it all became pretty clear once I started building. The best pieces of advice I've gotten is to do these things before starting each chapter:

1. Read each chapter thoroughly.

2. Read it again.

3. Reach at least two chapters ahead.

4. Read the FAQs on each chapter.

5. Read the chapter websites from other builders, especially the ones that offer lessons learaned, builders tricks andd hints, or "watch out for these things".

6. Order materials for at least two chapters ahead. (If you're in Chapter 4, order the materials for Chapter 4, 5, and 6.)

.....Wayne Hicks

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks