Elevator hinge pins reinstall

Remi Khu

Merry Christmas everyone!

I've spent some time this morning in the workshop trying to reinstall the elevator onto the canard with the hinge pins. As you all know, it's a difficult job. After searching the archives, I'll try the battery drill motor trick with a slightly bent pin to seek out the holes, unless there is a better way.

The other difficulty I have is keeping or slipping the thin washers in the tight space while locating the pins. Does anyone have a tip as to how I to overcome this problem? I'm thinking of gluing the washers onto the brackets.

Waht appears to be the simplest of task is turning into an exercise in patience. I could really use your feedback.

Thanks!!

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

• 1 year later...

I assume you've solved this problem by now, but for others (like me) who are at this point, here is what I did.

I filed the taper in the end of the hinge pin off-center. Picture a pencil-point where you held the pencil in the sharpener at an angle. Then I used my cordless drill to rotate the hinge pin as I inserted it, and got it to feed all the way in. I first wiped the hinge pin down with a small cotton rag soaked with 3-in-1 oil.

To get the washers in place, I cut 1/4 inch by 1 inch strips of thin plastic tape and stuck them onto the washers to make "handles". That makes it MUCH easier to hold the washer (one at a time) in place while a helper runs the hinge pin in.

This same trick works for mounting the main gear too! :cool:

I read the tape trick on somebody's web site, I think. The off-center point was my idea. :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

You might try installing the pin with the canard in a different position / orientation as the pin tends to sag with gravity making the holes harder to hit. i used Cpzy plans for the canard and there are 2 small washers on either side of the hinge horns.

Joe Berki

Limo EZ

I did not build a Ronz canard for my Longeze but I bet the Longeze is the same as the Cozy which means you need those washers. They fill up the space in the hinge area almost like a thrust bearing. STeve Build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Does not the the way the NC-3A hinge is bolted on prevent any side to side movement of the elevators?

The Cozy MK-IV has NC-2's that fit into the elevator torque tubes. These have a slot cut into it that is .220 wide. The elevator 'hinge' (NC-3 (not NC-3a) is .125 thick aluminum. The washers on either side of NC-3 fill this slot to just shy of .220"

Washers (or my secret mod) are needed on the MK-IV.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

The Cozy MK-IV has NC-2's that fit into the elevator torque tubes. These have a slot cut into it that is .220 wide. The elevator 'hinge' (NC-3 (not NC-3a) is .125 thick aluminum. The washers on either side of NC-3 fill this slot to just shy of .220"

Washers (or my secret mod) are needed on the MK-IV.

Rick

So then the washers are specific to the Cozy MK-IV?

Just making sure there is not something I might be leaving out for my Long-EZ.

So then the washers are specific to the Cozy MK-IV?

AFAIK.

Though The Gurlz show a similar setup (retrofit?) on their parts page for Long-EZ's.

http://cozy.concours.org/chap11/chap11.pdf They're substantially the same as MK-IV plans

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

AFAIK.

Though The Gurlz show a similar setup (retrofit?) on their parts page for Long-EZ's.

http://cozy.concours.org/chap11/chap11.pdf They're substantially the same as MK-IV plans

Rick

:irked: Ok, now after getting up off my ars and reading the plans (original "special performance canard" Roncz plans) I see the washers in the Long-EZ plans after all.

Thanks for setting me strait.:)