Lil Help/Advice For A Newbie?

Skyhigh315

Hi folks!

So... I just purchased a project EZ.  The wings were built built (very well, it seems), but it's missing one aileron and one rudder.  I'm scratching my head about how to fab them up.  Or whether the proper foam is readily available.  I've had tons of composite experience, but mostly industrial (pre-preg, vacuum-bagged, etc.).  I have built several high-end RC models with foam-cores I cut, then sheeted and glassed.

Where to start?

Also, thanks in advance for courteous replies to my dumb questions.

ailerons and rudders are build of the same blue PVC foam as the wings.  If you are in Mojave you would probably do well to cultivate some canard friends there.  Many canard owners in that part of the world.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

There are many canard owners in California.  Suggest you join COBA, https://canardowners.com/   and contact a few nearby or presidents of the EAA chapters in your area at EAA.org.   A chap here just posted some information on EZ foams in the past couple days; the blue styrofoam is very common.  Spruce has it.

BTW, you replied to a 15 year-old post with your question about carbon fiber.  Carbon fiber answers are out there but you will likely need to use the Search here or Google to pin them down.

-Kent

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I've already joined all the groups and concerns.  I don't usually limit my information resources to just those in proximity to me, though.  The only difference between canard owners in my area in you guys is how closer they physically are--not what they know or good ideas they might have.  I have two canard owners within jogging distance of my hangar, yet here I am opening the floor to you fine gents, too.  In other words, don't assume I haven't reached out to them because I'm also reaching out to you. ;)   In most things, the more insight and input you get, the better prepared to make decisions.  At least that's how I roll.

Yep, it is hard to know what a new member here has learned before joining this site.  To address your first question:  Aileron builders often complain about problems getting  them to balance.  Sometimes they install larger rods or lead in the leading edges.  I imagine carbon fiber ailerons would be easier to balance but I have not built carbon fiber stuff myself.  As I recall, rudders do not need to be balanced.  It should be easy to cut-out new aileron/rudder shapes from the templates.

-Kent

29 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

Yep, it is hard to know what a new member here has learned before joining this site.  To address your first question:  Aileron builders often complain about problems getting  them to balance.  Sometimes they install larger rods or lead in the leading edges.  I imagine carbon fiber ailerons would be easier to balance but I have not built carbon fiber stuff myself.  As I recall, rudders do not need to be balanced.  It should be easy to cut-out new aileron/rudder shapes from the templates.

Hi

Interesting.  Re balancing, do you mean the mass balance on the aileron itself, or balancing it with the other one?  

Once I do settle on a path forward, I'm excited to get started on fabbing these.

Hi Skyhigh...

Wer are both in similar situations. I'm in the verge of startin from scratch or importing a project (I'm not too optimistic beeing from Eastern Canada). So we may become "building brothers".

Here is my modest contribution:

-Anybody can learn building with fiberglass. Get a manual ( public domain) and see.

-Aileron is a steep learning curve because startin a new project you typically start with simple flat stuff, move up to fuselage were you learn to assemble stuff together straight, add  inserts and other basic important skills.

Main gear layup and installation might not look that much(as gar as glassing but it demands high precision.

Other builder will tell you better than me but I assume that by the timevyou have completed the main gear, you feel pretty confident about your abilities to work with foam and glass. 

Then you move up to cutting foam to a wing shape with a hot wire cutter. I'm that it's not hard butcyou need special equipment and practice on cheap pink styrofoam before doing it on the good stuff. ( you can also buy foam already shaped from Eureka) and learn to really apply yourself to obtain a light yet straight and conformal canard and then the elevator.

Doing an aileron alone brings a few challenges

-Because in the manual it is cut (saw cut) from the foam shape of the entire wing. I would not know the precise procedure to cut one from a foam bloc, although I have a good idea. I would consult....

- It is probably the longest foam piece compared to it's thickness and width. IMO, after wire cut, it must be all twisted up. I'll let other builders comment on this...

For the rest (hardware, hinges, etc) it looks similar, if not simpler than a canard elevator. But here again it's only my opinion looking at the plans.

Idem for the rudder.

Suggestion; Have you considered aquiring those items from projects for sale. There is a guy (he is on Facebook) currently selling a complete set of wings.

Let us know if it works out.

Allan

6 hours ago, Aclouston said:

are you saying that it would be possible to use a wing template and only cut a 64" portion of the trailing edge?

Yeah, the aileron shape is cut from the main wing foam shape.  Should be pretty easy to cut only what you need.

6 hours ago, Skyhigh315 said:

Re balancing, do you mean the mass balance on the aileron itself, or balancing it with the other one? 

Each aileron has to meet a balance spec when you hang it by the hinge (to prevent flutter).  It's described in the plans.  Common problem is that they are too tail heavy but carbon fiber might make them too light--I don't know.  The two ailerons do not need to match

-Kent