F22 bulkhead trouble

Ratdog

I have some photos of my F22 bulkhead which obviously wasnt built to plans .  What options do i have to fix this situation.  Replacing the bulkhead is going to involve  aligning the canard mounts etc.  Can i just glue a new bulkhead on top of the exisiting one ?  Thanks 

IMG_8516-S.jpg

IMG_8518-S.jpg

IMG_8519-S.jpg

IMG_8523-S.jpg

IMG_8525-S.jpg

IMG_8527-S.jpg

IMG_8528-S.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ratdog said:

What options do i have to fix this situation.  Replacing the bulkhead is going to involve  aligning the canard mounts etc.  Can i just glue a new bulkhead on top of the exisiting one ?

Assuming you can verify that what's there has the appropriate layups (and foam) for both sides of the F-22 bulkhead and the doubler, it looks like the only real issue is the lack of sides against the fuselage. If this is the case, I'd just lay up foam pieces per the plans for the F-22 sides and scab them onto the fuselage sides and the top and bottom of F-22, using the plans # of layups for the joint.

I don't know what you're envisioning wrt adding a new bulkhead "on top" of the existing one, but the answer would be "no", in any case.

And what in Cthulhu's name is the aluminum piece sticking out of the aft side of the F-22 bulkhead where the canard bolts attach? That bushing is supposed to be flush with both the fwd and aft face of F-22...

Lastly, we don't "glue" anything in these planes (unless it's something non structural that we're connecting with superglue). We use epoxy for both laminating and bonding - we don't use "glue". Use the word "glue" in a composites shop and you'll get laughed out of the building.

Thanks again Marc for all your help.  Im an idiot but not a total idiot when it comes to epoxy and  fiberglass . LOL.  I have experience with

building model gliders and boats I guess when i say glue i mean epoxy bond .   What your saying sounds like a good solution so I would just use the plans layup .  So should I lay up those pieces outside then lay them in just like normal procedure in the plans for attaching bulkheads to the fuselage ( i need to review that ) or build them in place overlaping the layers on the fuselage and whats left of the bulkhead on top and bottom if you understand what i mean.  Yes   what in the Cthulhu's name (whoever that is) is the  aluminum washer it looks like on the backside  .  Something else to be susicious of ? 

IMG_8519-S.jpg

IMG_8527-S.jpg

Edited by Ratdog

6 minutes ago, Ratdog said:

So should I lay up those pieces outside then lay them in just like normal procedure in the plans for attaching bulkheads to the fuselage ( i need to review that ) or build them in place overlaping the layers on the fuselage and whats left of the bulkhead on top and bottom if you understand what i mean.

Either will work. Just ensure that you remove all of the paint and any fill on the inside skin, and sand the surface appropriately for a bond prior to attachment. Just make sure that you have the right number of total plies in the right place, including the F-22 layups and the corner tapes, whichever you do.

8 minutes ago, Ratdog said:

Yes   what in the Cthulhu's name (whoever that is) is the  aluminum washer it looks like on the backside.

That SEEMS to be the aft side of the CNL bushing as shown on page 12-2 of the plans. But it's supposed to be trimmed to be flush - you'll need to figure out what's going on there.

On 9/24/2023 at 8:45 PM, Marc Zeitlin said:

... it looks like the only real issue is the lack of sides against the fuselage...

I need to apologize - I was conflating COZY MKIV F-22's with Long-EZ F-22's. The width of the F-22 along the side of the fuselage is buried in the fuselage side foam, per the image on page 6-1 of the Long-EZ Plans.

So there's no need to scab anything on there - it's all buried inside the fuselage sides.

Sorry about that.

Wow good news thats saves me a lot of work 😀.  What about the bottom of f22 does that still need to be added to ?  It actually would make more sense for your heels to slide along the floor without a bulkhead in the way ?  I need to fix is the instrument panel bulkhead center section needs to be rebult or make a new bulkhead .  I suppose you need to leave it blank until you figure out what instruments to use . Whats your opinion on if i have to make a new one and the bottom of f22 .  Thanks again for the help 

IMG_8488.jpeg

IMG_8487.jpeg

Edited by Jon Matcho
Removed all-black picture.

Hi Marc .  The plans have this cocked sideways i think so its not readily apparent what im looking at .  It appears they are showing the right side as the bottom and it too is buried in the fuselage .  I think that cartoon is what fooled me with the guys feet hanging over the bulkhead .  It makes sense now . 

image.jpg

Edited by Ratdog