Where to get foam for build?

Dan Worley

I have run into an issue sourcing some foam for my build.  My plan as of now is to purchase the pre-cut foam cores for my canard, wings, and winglets from EurekaCNC.  As for the rest of the foam it is readily available at Aircraft Spruce, but my plan is to order one or two chapters worth of materials as I build.  This is due to lack of space to store large amounts of materials and for financial decisions.  The biggest issue is that AS only carries foam, woods, etc in their California and Georgia Warehouses.  They quoting me a little over $500 for freight for just the foam and wood for Chapter 4.  That would end up averaging me anywhere between $3,500-$5,000 in just freight charges for the foam products throughout my build.  Anyone else factor in this much for shipping/freight in their build costs, find alternative sources for this foam, etc?  Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Freight is only worth it if you buy all the materials for the build at once. Ups or fedex should be cheaper for ordering a chapter or two at a time. Order the wood in 8 foot sections and scarf the longerons to get the length you need. 

FZ

Long eze ,  # 712    On Chapter 11 and 14  Chapter 13 and 16 done. 

Cozy Mark 4 # 1777  Chapter 5,  build on hold. 

1 hour ago, sixfivelrp said:

Freight is only worth it if you buy all the materials for the build at once. Ups or fedex should be cheaper for ordering a chapter or two at a time. Order the wood in 8 foot sections and scarf the longerons to get the length you need. 

I think that is what I may do.  I looked at the option last night of biting the bullet and ordering all of the foam and wood needed for Section I.  I will just have to find a storage option for the remaining materials.  I figure I can make room and put it in my shed.  I wouldn't think the temperature differences between the seasons would affect it any since it's foam.  That may just be the route I end up taking.  Thank you!