Thoughts on purchasing a velocity kit project in process

JMarcus

I am thinking about purchasing a velocity project that is in process.  I have my own thoughts about this that include purchasing someone else's building mistakes.  Such as were the tanks sealed correctly.  I would like to know others thoughts on this, especially from those that have done this.  Thanks

Marcus

My philosophy is that good workmanship is fairly apparent.   If it looks bad, decide if the price reflects your effort to make it right.   Most things can be fixed—see my thread where I cut off a winglet, for example    https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/?do=findComment&comment=49356.    It is always good to have an experienced builder take a look and go see projects under construction.  Lots of them do meticulous work

if a seller can explain how he built and checked fuel tanks and he makes sense, they will probably be OK.   You could borescope and pressure check them but we take some things on faith when buying a project.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I just did this.  I purchased a project Velocity, and have been working on it for 2 months with the guy I purchased it from.   It is good to be on hand and I really know the plane inside and out.   Having him explain all the details about what he did and why has been invaluable.   

Currently 99% done and 85% to go.  I am in Andrews NC with the plane.