Strong Pitch Trim Issue

Cmead

I'm new to the forums, so I hope I have this in the correct place.  I've got a strong pitch trim motor, that runs on a lead screw into some kind of cylinder/shock.  My trim motor "ratchets", sounds like a cordless drill when it reaches max torque.  I can move the cylinder by hand, but it's pretty stiff.  So I screwed it all the way down and cleaned the screw and put a little oil on it, but it didn't help.  It has safety wire on both ends and overall it looks like it's seen better days.

I'd prefer to maybe disassemble and thoroughly clean it, but I have this vision of the shock shooting out and me never getting this back together again!  I thought I could replace the cylinder, but I have no clue on what it is or where to find it.

I tried to go to www.strongpitchtrim.com but got some odd website.  ANY help would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Cmead said:

My trim motor "ratchets", sounds like a cordless drill when it reaches max torque.  I can move the cylinder by hand, but it's pretty stiff.  So I screwed it all the way down and cleaned the screw and put a little oil on it, but it didn't help.  It has safety wire on both ends and overall it looks like it's seen better days.

The "ratcheting" sound you hear when the unit reaches the end of its travel is, in fact, the clutch slipping, because the motor _IS_ a cordless drill, with a torque setting.

What do you think the unit is doing incorrectly, since what you describe is the correct operation of the system?

It doesn't have enough torque to turn the lead screw.  The shock mechanism that the lead screw goes into, to adjust the throw on the trim, is very tight.  So I was thinking it might just need "cleaned and lubed"...to free it up and make it turn easier so the motor would then have enough torque to turn the screw.

I should add:  that the stiffness/resistance of the shock mechanism is probably the issue. If I don't hold that, the motor turns fine.  I think the issue is the threads inside the shock must be dirty or clogged up.  The screw threads on the motor side, that I can get to when the shock as at the end of the throw (screwed out by hand because the motor "ratchets"), is completely clean and lubed, but still very stiff.

9 minutes ago, Cmead said:

It doesn't have enough torque to turn the lead screw.  The shock mechanism that the lead screw goes into, to adjust the throw on the trim, is very tight.  So I was thinking it might just need "cleaned and lubed"...to free it up and make it turn easier so the motor would then have enough torque to turn the screw.

If it hasn't been used in a long time, it may very well need a disassembly and cleaning. The instructions do NOT indicate how to do this, and Alex is no longer in business. So you're on your own. But it's not rocket science, and it'll go back together after disassembly. Also, the torque is settable - remove the electrical tape over the bottom of the motor, and turn the torque setting ring. I've got the instruction manual as a PDF I can send if you give me an email address.