Starter and ring gear.

MikeD

I have a O-320 with a 149 tooth ring gear but one of the teeth is missing. I also have a new 122 tooth ring gear.

Question: I intend fitting a light weight starter so what would be the best thing to do? Fit the new 122 tooth ring and buy a starter to match or replace the 149 tooth ring and buy a 149 tooth starter to match?

Wye did Lycoming change from 122 to 149 teeth? I can see that the 149 will be easier to turn but it will also be slower if both starters turn at the same speed. I’ve searched the web for info but cannot find anything… any ideas.

MikeD (U.K.)

Tell me and I forget.

Show me and I remember.

Involve me and I understand.

I have a O-320 with a 149 tooth ring gear but one of the teeth is missing. I also have a new 122 tooth ring gear.

Question: I intend fitting a light weight starter so what would be the best thing to do? Fit the new 122 tooth ring and buy a starter to match or replace the 149 tooth ring and buy a 149 tooth starter to match?

Wye did Lycoming change from 122 to 149 teeth? I can see that the 149 will be easier to turn but it will also be slower if both starters turn at the same speed. I’ve searched the web for info but cannot find anything… any ideas.

MikeD (U.K.)

On a O-320 the 122 is fine. the 149 was developed for the larger engines before we had geared starter motors

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

I replaced my 149 teeth ring about a year ago because of broken teeth. Finally, I determined that my SkyTec starter with inadequate battery voltage was breaking the teeth and also the starter casing. In other words, you need a decent battery current to prevent starter/teeth conflict. After two Sky tec casing failures, i decide to use the Kelly Aerospace E-drive starter with higher capacity battery and had never had a problem again...I highly recommend them.

Regards,

Afif Saybe

Long-EZ, HR-ATQ

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the valuable information. It looks like I will be fitting the new 122 tooth ring gear and getting a good quality battery and a lightweight starter.

Regards

MikeD

Tell me and I forget.

Show me and I remember.

Involve me and I understand.