New to the fourm (Melbourne, Australia)

I'm not sure whether this will be posted as a previous reply of mine (1st post) to the Open EZ thread didn't go through.

Anyway, I'm from Melbourne, Australia, and thinking about building a Cozy. I then came across the Open EZ at this forum. Now I'm in two minds but I'm not rushing into it, I've waited 20+ years already, so another few months won't hurt.

Steve Taylor

Melbourne, Australia.

Cozy Plans # 1583 (26 June, 2009)

Hello again Steven. Main difference would be how many seats do you want?

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

True number seats can play into figuring it out, but then again...

The Cozy has a ton of room for packing stuff along with you. The Long is limited in where and how much stuff you can carry especially if you have a passenger. There are ways around it with draggage pods, etc.

I've been tossing up a similar thing as of late.

We'd like to travel with golf clubs - hard to do in a Long). Side by side seating is a plus for us since my wife would love to learn to fly and is not really a back seat type of person. The Long will probably fly faster on teh same horsepower - as a matter of fact the Longs will probably fly faster on less horsepower (Long O320 vs Cozy O360). Though Chris started something with his super cruising Cozy540 and even the Cozy Girrrls are making the 540 engine mounts.

Either way you can't make a bad decision. Heck I've even heard rumors of some folks having one of each...:) One is sort of like a Porsche 911 and the other Porsche Cayenne. Not a bad choice.

Bob

Bob Hassel

Cozy Plans #749

Santa Fe, NM

http://www.cozyworld.net

http://www.hassel-usa.com

G'Day Steve,

Wonderful to hear of another EZ person in the making in Melbourne. It seems that you know Spod, and there are a few other people in the Melbourne area as well.

There are a couple of guys with flying LongEzs, one guy starting on a Varieze, another who has his VE project on hold (as lifes other priorities are leading at the moment), and I have a Longez project in work with a very long way to go. I do not know of any Cozy builders in Melbourne currently (when are you making a start Spod??) :)

You may be interested to know that last Australia Day long weekend, we had the 1st 'Canard Muster' at Mangalore airfield, and I hope to plan the 2nd Canard Muster for the same weekend next year (only 6 months away).

Once again, great to know you're out there Steve and if I can assist you in any way, please drop me a message.

Cheers,

Bruce

(in the CBD)

Thanks everyone.

I probably will stick with the Cozy for the main reason it seems to be well supported both here and other lists and from a novice point of view that's a big plus. I do like the idea of the Open EZ but from a novice point of view it appears to be fragmented. If I had some experience to start with that probably wouldn't be an issue.

The Canard Muster; I was looking over the site last night, great idea and hopefully I'll be there in six months time.

Also I'd to meet and greet my fellow Melbournites, would really like to check out workshops and discuss the 'getting started' phase.

EDIT: Really need a catchy username.

Steve Taylor

Melbourne, Australia.

I probably will stick with the Cozy for the main reason it seems to be well supported both here and other lists and from a novice point of view that's a big plus. I do like the idea of the Open EZ but from a novice point of view it appears to be fragmented.

Steve

The Long/Open and the Cozy have basically the same construction if you disregard size. A Cozy builder would be helpful to a Long/Open and vice versa. The only real change I can think of off hand are the NACA scoop and main undercarriage mounts. Oh, and the way the interior is 'contoured', although if I built an Open I would use that method and the main undercarriage.

I was fairly heavily involved in rewriting the plans for the OpenEZ but have lost interest.

Not wanting to make your decision harder though.

Anyhow, I am in Queensland and not building yet so not much help to you.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Steve

The Long/Open and the Cozy have basically the same construction if you disregard size. A Cozy builder would be helpful to a Long/Open and vice versa. The only real change I can think of off hand are the NACA scoop and main undercarriage mounts. Oh, and the way the interior is 'contoured', although if I built an Open I would use that method and the main undercarriage.

I was fairly heavily involved in rewriting the plans for the OpenEZ but have lost interest.

Not wanting to make your decision harder though.

Anyhow, I am in Queensland and not building yet so not much help to you.

I spent a good few hours yesterday reading the initial Open EZ thread, only breaking for lunch. Then read a few posts from other related type threads where copyright was discussed and argued. At the end of it I was more confused than when I started, though I gathered and sensed that interest in the Open EZ had waned.

I also came across the AeroCanard site, so now there's another option but as you say the construction methods are probably the same anyway.

Steve Taylor

Melbourne, Australia.