Approximate Weight and Dimmensions of Tub

trans4md

In consideration of adoption an in-progress Cozy Mk IV, I'm curious about the cost of transporting the project. The previous builder has completed the tub. Since I've not seen the plans or project yet, I'm wondering if anyone can provide rough estimates for the weight and dimensions of a typical tub.

"Men become wise just as they become rich, more by what they save than by what they receive." - Wilbur Wright

Depends on how far along it is. I moved my project from Mississippi to Missouri with a ten foot trailer. It was complete through chp. 14. The main gear was removed before hauling it. Two people can easily pick up the tub.

Go to my website to see the pictures.

If you think of the tub as a canoe you will have little problem bringing your project home. Yes you could put on the roof rack with the foam and put the rest in the car. Not the best way to travel.

An extended cargo van is the next step up. If the strake is on the tub you will want a cube van.

Remember to secure your load as things will shift and do damage if you don't.

If this does not appeal check out your local truck stop and see if a trucker is willing to back haul your project. Just remember if he hauls hogs your plane will smell like hogs for a while. Good luck!

I was actually thinking of shipping it to my home. I've never shipped anything this large before and I assume that freight/shipping companies will need to know the size and weight.

"Men become wise just as they become rich, more by what they save than by what they receive." - Wilbur Wright

I just went through this process of arranging to transport a Cozy MkIV fuselage to CA. This particular fuselage was finished, through the nose section. I used 1/4th inch plywood from HD, with 2x2 along the inside edges for reinforcement, and used a layer of styrofoam inside for cushioning.

Details:

Crate dimensions: 130" long x 46" wide x 29" high

Crate weight: Approx 165 lbs

Fuselage weight: approx 135 lbs

Total weight: approx 300 lbs.

I was quoted around $500 or so to ship from VA to CA. I used a service called "U-Ship", which works similar to e-bay in reverse. You post the details of your package (dimensions, weight, freight class, etc...), and companys/brokers then give you bids on the shipping cost. You can choose the lowest bid. Generally speaking, if you can transport the crate yourself to a shipping terminal, you'll pay a lot less than if they have to pick it up/deliver to a residential address.

(Also, make sure when building the crate, to put lengths of wood running cross-ways across the bottom, to elevate to crate off the ground in order to permit a forklift to move it. If you can get pallets, you may even want to attach those the bottom.)

BTW -- if anyone is interested, my original buyer backed out of his purchase agreement, so I have this aircraft fuselage, crated and ready to go, for sale again!

I just went through this process of arranging to transport a Cozy MkIV fuselage to CA. This particular fuselage was finished, through the nose section. I used 1/4th inch plywood from HD, with 2x2 along the inside edges for reinforcement, and used a layer of styrofoam inside for cushioning.

Details:

Crate dimensions: 130" long x 46" wide x 29" high

Crate weight: Approx 165 lbs

Fuselage weight: approx 135 lbs

Total weight: approx 300 lbs.

I was quoted around $500 or so to ship from VA to CA. I used a service called "U-Ship", which works similar to e-bay in reverse. You post the details of your package (dimensions, weight, freight class, etc...), and companys/brokers then give you bids on the shipping cost. You can choose the lowest bid. Generally speaking, if you can transport the crate yourself to a shipping terminal, you'll pay a lot less than if they have to pick it up/deliver to a residential address.

(Also, make sure when building the crate, to put lengths of wood running cross-ways across the bottom, to elevate to crate off the ground in order to permit a forklift to move it. If you can get pallets, you may even want to attach those the bottom.)

BTW -- if anyone is interested, my original buyer backed out of his purchase agreement, so I have this aircraft fuselage, crated and ready to go, for sale again!

Thanks for this detail Steve; this helps greatly.

I'm mildly interested in the specs, pictures, price etc. for your fuselage.

Here's the link to the "For Sale" page: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=54810#post54810

Price is $1000 obo.

I think I'm offering this for a pretty good price. It's pretty far along, fuselage with many parts, nose completed.

Like I said, the previous buyer backed out of his purchase agreement, so my pain is your gain. I already built the crate, and it's ready to go. PM or email me if you have any questions.