Tire Replacement Newbie Question!

Chicago

Well, I bought new Shin tires and tubes and figured out how to remove the old tires from my Varieze but for the life of me I can't break the bead of the tire when deflated. What is everyone doing to separate the tire from the rims. I really don't want to spend over $100.00 for a bead breaker from ACS and someone mentioned jumping on them but the 11.4-5 tires are kinda small for my feet to break the bead. My feet slip off the tires. Should I just go to a local gas station or tire shop and have them break the bead in their machine? I was hoping to do this with out spending a ton of money on tire replacement.

Dan

Did you remove the three bolts that hold the rim halves together?

Yes, I deflated the tube by removing the valve stem and then removed the bolts. I went and got the mini tire changer from HF and it worked like a charm :D . I sent the wife to go get some baby powder since tire talc doesn't smell as nice.

I was about ready to put my tires together and then noticed the 11 X 4.00 X 5, 4 ply tires are only rated for max 46 psig and the label on the tires say transmaster and not Shin like my old tires. The ACS label on the tires say their shin but that's not what the tires are actually stamped with though. My old shin tires say max 96 Psig. Anyone know if these are replacement tires and is 46 psig is good for the Varieze or did ACS send me the wrong tires? Maybe I should have ordered the lamb tires from ACS instead?

I was about ready to put my tires together and then noticed the 11 X 4.00 X 5, 4 ply tires are only rated for max 46 psig and the label on the tires say transmaster and not Shin like my old tires. The ACS label on the tires say their shin but that's not what the tires are actually stamped with though. My old shin tires say max 96 Psig. Anyone know if these are replacement tires and is 46 psig is good for the Varieze or did ACS send me the wrong tires? Maybe I should have ordered the lamb tires from ACS instead?

those are not the right tire you need the tires that were made by Lamb now are made by Cheng Shin when you order you want whats called Lamb in the ACS catalog, they come in 6 or 8 ply rated and are for 96 psi. I was at ACS yesterday and they had a full shelf of them.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

I'm sure some will tell me they have been using baby poweder for 10,000 years and have had no problem but most baby powder has oil in it and is not good for the tires and tubes. Better to use tire talc.

Terry A&P A.I.

I'm sure some will tell me they have been using baby poweder for 10,000 years and have had no problem but most baby powder has oil in it and is not good for the tires and tubes. Better to use tire talc.

Terry A&P A.I.

thats right, I still have the same container of baby powder that I have used for the last 35 years and it was used by my father for at least 20 years before me.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Like I said some have used baby powder for a long time with no problems. Informed choices are always better than uninformed ones. Maybe they didn't put oil in baby powder 55 yrs ago:)

no they probably did not , in fact many types of baby powder made before the '60 used chrysolite asbestos, bad stuff, but the one I have is made of talc.

have you ever seen anyone use baby powder and have a problem?

the tubes used in the lamb tires are the natural rubber type not the new synthetic type use on certified aircraft. baby powder does contain fragrance oil in a very small quantity. you will get more oil off your hands while working on the tires then the amount in baby powder. I have never heard of a problem do to baby powder. we do know that the tires hold pressure better if filled with nitrogen instead of air.

Can anyone recommend the proper way to remove the bearings from the wheel to repack them? I am not sure if they just pop out or if I have to remove some parts first with a tool?

they should just come out, remove the felt dust seal and lift out the inner race with the rollers and cage. the wheel bearing should be reinstalled so there is a slight preload on the bearing. tighten the bearing hand tight and then with a wrench, tighten to align with the next cotter pin hole.

they should just come out, remove the felt dust seal and lift out the inner race with the rollers and cage. the wheel bearing should be reinstalled so there is a slight preload on the bearing. tighten the bearing hand tight and then with a wrench, tighten to align with the next cotter pin hole.

Thanks for the procedure. I noticed there was a retaining ring holding the bearing assembly together and I had to use a screw drive to pop the ring out by the small tab first before everything else was able to come out.