Steve Fossett - What went wrong?

TMann

I saw it. It didn't give a whole lot of technical details about the crash. It was more like a bio about Steve. Of course that's to be expected.

I did get a kick out of the quote from the one pilot who said, (I'm paraphrasing again) "He was trying to survive, and by surviving he could be living and not dying." That was as close as I can remember it anyway, I was laughing so hard. Brilliant! That was a pilot talking!

Of course to be fair, I've been interviewed on TV at airshows about my plane, and I look like somebody shoved a board up my backside while I'm trying to say something that sounds halfway smart. The editing process will never put you in a positive light. The media is the devil! I don't talk to them if I can help it. I had to run the media guantlet to get to the pit in OKC after the bombing in 95. EVIL MEDIA!!!

But anyway, I was hoping to learn something about the crash and didn't get anything new.

Yeah, they didn't report on anything from the NTSB or anyone else that might explain the cause of the accident, except perhaps the attitude of the aircraft upon impact. The bit about the seat belt was sort of interesting though.

Yeah, they didn't report on anything from the NTSB or anyone else that might explain the cause of the accident, except perhaps the attitude of the aircraft upon impact. The bit about the seat belt was sort of interesting though. They spent more time talking about the guy that found the FAA certificate and cash.

• 7 months later...

Yeah, they didn't report on anything from the NTSB or anyone else that might explain the cause of the accident, except perhaps the attitude of the aircraft upon impact.

Well ,,,, now they have. It seems it was what amounted to a fairly mild case of Mountain Wave (or CAT.)

At least it would seem minor unless you happen to be flying an airplane that climbs at 300 fpm.

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2009/090709fossett.html?WT.mc_id=090710epilot&WT.mc_sect=tts

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

At least it would seem minor unless you happen to be flying an airplane that climbs at 300 fpm.

QUOTE]

I don't intend to split hairs, but to be more specific, the arctical states: "Fossett’s Decathlon was capable of climbing at only 300 fpm given the density altitude at its cruising altitude."

Given standard conditions, no doubt the Decathlon was probably capabable of a much greater rate of climb.