N200LZ: No fog ...... please (Northern Pilots)

TMann

Many (many many) years ago, I took a ride in a Vari-Eze (same guy I bought my Long-EZ plans from.) It was nasty cold at the time.

When we were ready to take off, he opened up the Naca vent in front. He said he had to do this to prevent the canopy from fogging up during the take-off roll.

Have any of you Northern pilots experienced this condition?

Just trying to plan ahead.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Happened all the time when I was back east and it was cold. As soon as I got moving and had some air coming into the cockpit, the fog would go away.

Happened all the time when I was back east and it was cold. As soon as I got moving and had some air coming into the cockpit, the fog would go away.

Thanks Marc. I was out fly'n yesterday and the cold kind of triggered that memory. (...... do you remember COLD?). :D

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Although not in a canard, I had a somewhat disturbing experience once on a solo training flight.

Just after taking off from Olympia I climbed up to about 700 ft AGL. After I began my crosswind turn the windshield fogged up in about 3 seconds. I was on instruments for about 10 seconds until I realized I could still see out the side window. I used the cabin heat to defrost the windshield. After one touch and go low clouds to the east of the airport started to build up. I asked for a full stop and the tower suggested I fly patterns on the west side. After one more touch and go it looked like the clouds and fog were rolling in from everywhere and I called it a day. 20 minutes after shutdown the whole area was covered in fog.

It was defiantly a starling lesson in dew point/temp spread not to mention decision making. I let the controller peer pressure me to continue despite my instinct to end the flight.

I guess my point is that the windshield fogging up like that was not a good situation from my stand point. Does the NACA vent provide an adequate means of clearing the canopy?

Yes, it seemed to. I was in back and the pilot announced that this was the procedure he was following and after we were airborne for a while he replaced the plug and we were good.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I omitted the NACA vent up front. I took off out of Arlington WA one day and the canopy fogged up in the pattern. Scared the crap out of me. I've made some changes. I use a strake opening and eyeball vent. You need an air exit. If it comes in, it's got to go out. The Canopy NACA is a good idea.

Many (many many) years ago, I took a ride in a Vari-Eze (same guy I bought my Long-EZ plans from.) It was nasty cold at the time.

When we were ready to take off, he opened up the Naca vent in front. He said he had to do this to prevent the canopy from fogging up during the take-off roll.

Just trying to plan ahead.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

I omitted the NACA vent up front. I took off out of Arlington WA one day and the canopy fogged up in the pattern.........The Canopy NACA is a good idea.

Exactly the situation I was hoping to avoid. Thanks for the input Wayne.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory