To Jeffco or not to Jeffco, that is the question

CBarber

Most y'all know of my tribulations with my Jeffco coating failing in my strakes. After both a busy social and work schedule I have been able to remove the Jeffco from the right strake, by sanding, grinding and cutting out the inner skin of various parts of the right strake. I have laid in new glass and have all NEW inner skins.

I have NOT determined the root cause of the failure of the Jeffco. I have various removed and new Jeffco and EZPoxy samples sitting in auto gas. One thing is for sure, AlphaPoxy failed quickly....I suspected as much, but I had a sample so I tested it. I do not see any difference in the Jeffco or EZPoxy so far.

Soooo, I have this fresh glass. I solicit opinions on whether to add more EZPoxy or go ahead and apply Jeffco again. I will be applying it late at night (I work evening shift and do not get to the hangar til about 11:30 pm), so much less heat and Houston humidity when it will be applied. Of course, I hope to prep the surface properly....of course I thought I had before.

I already have the new Jeffco $430.00 later. I may need more EZPoxy and its associated hazmat fee.

I read a few post from folks who have stated they have used nothing but EZpoxy in their tanks for years and have been using autogas with ethanal. I am using autogas with my rotary. I origianly used the Jeffco since I was looking at a diesel as well as the autogas option. Jeffco may in NO WAY have been the problem. I have spoken with NASA engineer types and shown them my failure and I have sent samples of the failure to Velocity. However, as of right now nothing is conclusive about the failure

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

I'd definitely do some experiments. Prepare a few test samples of glass and epoxy, prep it exactly as your plane parts, and then apply whatever epoxy you want to use 1) under hot, humid conditions and 2) with air conditioning and low humidity and see if there is a difference.

When I took classes at a local FBO(?) for my composite repairman certificate temperature and humidity were constantly measured and recorded inside the working area. This data became part of the repair report. MGS and all the other suppliers of epoxies which are certified here for aircraft building and repair all give limits for maximum allowable humidity.

I have also discussed the effects of humidity in the past with an acquaintance who owns a composite business and who is a contractor for EADS, has built parts for satellites and was involved in building the ETA (the worlds biggest glider). He had to install extensive air conditioning because without it parts made in summer, during high humidity periods were clearly inferior and often unusable. All the aircraft manufacturers I have visited used air conditioning where composite parts were being made. And this despite Germany having much different, more favorable climatic conditions than Texas.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree here, so let's hear what others have to say.

Chris, I saw some portable air conditioners at Home Depot. Not so much to cool things down in your hanger (which in TX is not half bad) but to relieve some of the humidity. You could even make a plastic tent around your work area like we do with hangers up North here in the winter.

Good suggestion. I already have a portable air conditioner and a portable dehumidifier. Your idea is exactly what I plan to do with a plastic tent, late at night (I don't get off work until 11:00pm), maybe around 1 or 2 am when it is much cooler and the humidity is much less.

Of course this is all after Ike blows past. I will be working 24/7 for the next three or four days (at least) with 12 hours on, 12 hours off, bunking in the fire department. Ah, duty calls.:cool:

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...