Sump Sans Fuel Selector

Arbiter

Hi Folks,

I heard that the ACanard has a sump instead of a fuel switch.... Any opinions on whether this is better than having a fuel selector? What are the considerations/concerns/things to think about for both kinds of systems? Are there major drawbacks to either kind of system? Thanks!

-Chris Z.

Chris Zupp

~Aircraft Designer~

Preliminary Design Sequence I: Project Endeavour

Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineer

Private Pilot

I have a sump.

It hold 3 Quarts (2 useable)

I like it. One of the reasons I went for it was that I cant be trusted to switch tanks and that I was having troble finding a good spot for my Andair valve.

I just have a cable operated tap on the firewall. The only time it is off is for servicing, hopefully it will not have to be used for a fire. If I did start the engine with the valve off it would run at idle for about 2 mins before stopping so I can never get airborne with the fuel valve off. It has its own vent as well as the tanks being vented. The main tanks are also linked to each other via seperate vent. I have tested it extensively to ensure that fuel flows to it in as many configurations as I can think of.

Main tanks stay relatively balanced but at times one gets about 2 or 3 Gals lower than the rest. This unbalanced feed is caused by yaw. If one tank did empty there is still plenty of flow from one tank to keep the sump full.

Anyway it works for me, its easy to manage the fuel.

post-84-141090163627_thumb.jpg

That's a neat installation ... what are all these pumps / valve set-up ... I'm worried, mine has none of that :)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Chris.

Thats the Airflow Performance pump and filter assembly. They sell that setup for IO360's. It comes as a set with a couple of the small interconnecting pipes bent and fitted. From memory it has a check valve in it as well. It costs a bit though and I only use it for a few minutes each flight. I guess all the fuel goes through the filter though. My fuel comes from the main tanks to the sump then through the pump and filter that you see to the fuel tap just before the firewall. Then through the firewall into the gascolator into the engine driven pump to the injection metering assembly. From there through a purge valve to the spider. The spider is on the underside of the engine. I am not sure if I would instal a purge valve again. Its there to circulate the fuel and help with hot starts but I havnt had to use it yet.

OK, I have an IO-360 and none of the above.

I used to crank that little faucet pump till it showed some pressure, but found that a waste of time, so now I just crank the moptor and it purges it as it starts :) Two blades max, when it's hot maybe 4

I don't have a return flowpipe ... I feel I'm missing something, you've got more equipment :)

My Cozy (ZU-CZZ) is all as per plans (excl the wingtip lights & The cowling fixing method). Hope that answers your question.

Chris.

If you just have the standard FACET pump then you need to get something like I have.

The pump I have is to supply the engine in case the engine driven one falls over. If your pump is not capable of taking the place of your engine driven pump then your set up is not correct and I guess you should not be flying. The plans pump is not sufficient for an injected engine.

I think there are other pumps around that do the same job as mine so you may have one of those in which case I will stand corrected. I know the certified pump for an IO is up in the $300 to $400 range maybe more. My pump/filter was around $300 plus if I remember correctly. My set up puts out about 26 or more PSI if I recal correctly and delivers 180L/Hr (42GALS)to the engine.

Cheers Chris

the standard facet puts out about 10" psi, which I think is sufficient to keep you going ... :)

But I'll be looking for a new pump then too :-)