Looking at buying a LEZ

Beastus_Maximus

Looking at buying a LEZ, it is on Controller.com

http://www.controller.com/listings/detail.aspx?ohid=1121954

It looks to be a nice bird, I was wondering what you all thought of it for a starting point, to get into Canard's.

The price seems reasonable to me, although with being stored for so long, I worry that the motor might have corrosion issues.

I have talked with Waiter here quite a bit, at first I was dead set on building from scratch, but I can see several advantages now to starting with a flying bird, or one that is partially complete. I figure towards the 1st of the year I am going to be ready to make the plunge.

We make no mistakes, ONLY INNOVATIONS!

It certainly looks like a nice bird from the pics. A couple of things I see:

- I notice that the starboard sight gage is leaking substantially into the cockpit. There could be an issue with the fuel reacting with the epoxy and causing a lot of damage. Maybe the tank was sealed with Jeffco or similar. From the looks of it the issue may be easily quantifiable, which might not be a good thing. I'm not sure how you would fully inspect the inside of the tanks.

- Was the engine prepped for long-term storage, e.g. cylinders filled with oil, all fuel drained (probably not based on fuel leak)

- 375 hours total, 5 hours on the prop. What was on there for the other 370 hours and why was it changed out.

- $31K is pretty steep compared to some other LEZs I've seen listed. One of the guys on my home field just bought one for about $20K. This bird needs a substantial inspection given the long-term storage. You should figure on paying a knowledgeable LEZ builder to come down and have a long look.

A big negative I see is the O-235 engine. This is the 118hp version. (considering the price)

Surely, there are O320 (160 hp) EZ's out there in the same price range.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com