Inspection of fiberglasss structure

HardKnox

I've only started building, so I'm a long way from the Airworthiness Inspection, but I have a question. When I had my first, metal plane inspected, it was only a couple days later that I made my first flight. With fiberglass, how much finishing is left undone so the DAR can inspect the plane? Can I go ahead and contour, fill, and prime before inspection?

I've only started building, so I'm a long way from the Airworthiness Inspection, but I have a question. When I had my first, metal plane inspected, it was only a couple days later that I made my first flight. With fiberglass, how much finishing is left undone so the DAR can inspect the plane? Can I go ahead and contour, fill, and prime before inspection?

Greetings Hard,

That all depends on who inspects it and where.

My prior glass plane was inspected only once and that was when it was completely finished painted, and ready to fly.

My current DAR says that that is what he will do now, however he says that he is available if I want more inspections.

Others may have not had the same luck.

My suggestion is that you contact your FSDO or DAR and have a glass to glass conversation with respect to what they want to see and how they want to see it, ie in pictures or in person. Keep a complete photographic record of each piece and assembly.

Since glass is fairly new, they don't seem to know a lot about it's inspection.

One of the main inspections in a fibreglass composite is the quarter test. In this, you tap a quarter on the structure and are able to tell by sound if there is a delam.

Have that talk, however. Having an EAA technical adviser or several might be helpful here, also.

Enjoy your build!

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

In the United States, The FAA (DAR) doesn't want to see the plane until it is completed and ready to fly.

Other countries (Canada) may require progress inspections, i.e. pre-close - The wing spar caps and shear web are inspected before the skin is applied. Check with your version of the FAA if you don't live in the US.

With that said - A good relationship with your local EAA chapter will get you free access to a Technical Counselor that can inspect your work as you progress. Although this isn't "required" by our FAA, it does carry weight with them AND the Insurance Industry.

When it comes time for your first flight, The EAA also provides a free service "Flight Advisor" program.

Your Local EAA Chapter may also have access to scales, you'll need these to perform your weight and balance.

If you join your local EAA Chapter, you'll find that its a two way street, Not only will you be learning, but you will also be teaching.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Thank you all. I failed to mention that I'm in the US and getting inspected by an FAA DAR, so this pertains to the US.

I contacted a DAR and here's what I got as a reply. This DAR is very active and very thorough. I have a lot of respect and trust for this guy as do many.

From the DAR:

_____quote_______

The certification inspection is the same as any other airplane; after it is ready to fly. BUT, the aircraft needs to be inspected before the "fill" stage so that the fiberglass structure can be evaluated. What I like to see is at least one technical counselor report done at this stage with pictures and comments from the TC.

Many of the composite aircraft now days have factory pre-molded skins. In this case, this inspection is not that critical, but for wet lay-ups it is very critical.

In progress pictures are MUCH more important for a composite airplane.

_____end quote______

So looks like tech councelor reviews and photos are important to him. And its OK to fill and prime everything after a tech councelor has had a look.

As an aside, I really like the FAA relying on the private sector, where the experts are.