wing quick detach

wolf.

Dear all I have seen some guys with the jiran wing quick detach system. I very much like the Idea of taking of the wings and the canard and storing the varieze in a trailer (hangar space is hard to find and expensive).

Are there still systems around like the Jiran and are they retrofitable (bought a varieze rehab project without the engine and while i am restoring...

wolf.

Cosy Classic flying (ex LX-ACE)

Varieze N39JC rebuilding

• 2 weeks later...

The standard VEZ wing attachment facilitates fairly quick wing removal & reinstallation. Only a few Jiram winged VEZs exist. These airplanes are unique, and trying to convert a completed "standard" VEZ to the Jiran config would entail far more work than desireable, much less the fact that you'd be pretty-much entirely on your own, regarding overall engineering design of the configuration.

Jiran wings were prefabricated, and are of a hollow (inner & outer skin) type of composite construction. The centersection spar for the Jiran config would have to be built-up, and mated to the existing fuselage (lotsa work/re-work).

In short, if all is well with the standard wing config & attach structures on the airplane, I'd leave it be. Jerry Gardiner has over 4000 hours on his stock VariEze (standard wing attach), and he has trailered his airplane (which requires wing removal & installation each cycle) pretty-much since day one.

Properly maintained (cleaned, lubed, through-bolts torqued to 36-40 inch-pounds), the standard VEZ wing attach scheme is fine, and works very well. the fittings are good to about 16 gs, too, for what it is worth.

Cheers,

-Joe Person

EAA Tech Counselor 4418

VariEze N79JN

Bothell, WA (KPAE)

Thanks Joe, actually yesterday I went to pick up the varieze airframe I plan to refurbish. (I own and fly a long, but the price of the varie was right) And diamtelling I must say that it is easier than the long. Actually the width without wings is very nice to move it (we loaded the whole in a small van).

wolf.

Cosy Classic flying (ex LX-ACE)

Varieze N39JC rebuilding