Is F-0 structural?

rnbraud

If so how much?

The reason I ask is that I am contemplating/struggling with the ballast compartment door.

I have the floor of the compartment already formed and laid up three layers of glass.

I would prefer not having nose ballast door, but I do want a nose ballast compartment.

Then it came to me while researching several of the builder websites that a few fellas/gals

bore through F-0 in order to place landing lights or to provide access to landing lights.

So I was thinking, why not cover the nose cone completely and access the ballast compartment

through the nose cover via access doors cut out of F-0!

What do you guys/gals think about cutting an access door in F-0 on either side of NG-30? Will it compromise the

structure "significantly"?

Later.

P.S. My nose is going to contain only a ballast compartment, no pitot and no landing lights.

Those are both another discussion.

Sorry, Rock, I suspect its late onset terrets; I cannot help myself. :o

I think you can do almost anything you wish except make sure the two NG-30's are well attached and that there is enough of FS-0 framework to stabilize the NG-30's. Look at it as the counterpart to FS-22.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Sorry, Rock, I suspect its late onset terrets; I cannot help myself. :o

I think you can do almost anything you wish except make sure the two NG-30's are well attached and that there is enough of FS-0 framework to stabilize the NG-30's. Look at it as the counterpart to FS-22.

Regards, Chrissi

Hello Chrissi,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. "home" work.

Good point on the NG-30 attachment. I plan to leave a 1 inch "rib" top and bottom and several inches on the side. Should be ok this way.

Thanks for the info. Will post pictures when I get back to working on the airplane.

Gotta finish up that 2007 "Home" work duties.

Later.