First Practice Layup completed

I bought the kit from Aircraft Spruce and did the flat plate.

After the cut and weighing, 10.9 ounces. Top surface is a bit blotchy from the parchment paper I used to keep the dust from the garage off the layup, but other than that, nice, green and translucent.

This is all for building an Open EZ-ish plane. Going with a renisis engine with custom designed belly scoop so we can accomodate a properly sized radiator and full retract gear. Have no idea what to call it, but I'll figure it out

will defintiely take suggestions.

Guard thy airspeed lest the ground arise to smite thee

Yeah, its still got the west system. I was never planning on using it

I was going to use the MGS 285 because of the higher post-cure glass transition temperature.

I am generally not all that impressed with the practice kit

the foam that came with the kit was 1 12"X12" square of the green urathane foam and 2 12X12" squares of the blue polystyrene

I'm trying to figure out how to cut a strip of foam 1.5" wide X 14" long out of a 12X12 inch piece of foam.

I actually figured it out, but I really didnt want to have to take a diagonal cut out of it

I am generally not all that impressed with the practice kit

For what its worth, I noticed that the Chapter 3 practice kit on the ACS Cozy page Item# 01-00588 was $172.05, that didn't exist when I started my project (mumble) years ago but this did http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/practicekit.php and is half the price. Just curious as to what was included in the more expensive kit as the cheaper of the two has/had eveything needed to do the practice parts?

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

West 105 Resin and 209 Hardener are approved

Yes.....the problem is ACS ships 206 with the kit we are talking about. Because you get the RAF manual, the correct foam & fabric (all approved materials) it is easy to assume that they are giving you approved epoxy & hardener. Not the case.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

For what its worth, I noticed that the Chapter 3 practice kit on the ACS Cozy page Item# 01-00588 was $172.05, that didn't exist when I started my project (mumble) years ago but this did http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/practicekit.php and is half the price. Just curious as to what was included in the more expensive kit as the cheaper of the two has/had eveything needed to do the practice parts?

Thats the thing, I didnt spend 170 on my kit, I spent about 85. It came with a large section of BID (unknown size, all folded up in a plastic bag), a large section of UNI (unknown size, again folded up in a large plastic bag), the west 206 system (looks to be the 1 qt size, maybe 1.75 qt), some stirring sticks, some wire, some 1/2in peel ply, a couple sets of rubber gloves, a large bag of flocked cotton, a large bag of micro baloons, 2 12X12X1" blocks of blue styrofoam and 1 12X12X1" block of green urethane foam

cutting the 1.5X14X1" block of foam for the confidence layup is gonna be fun.

Chapter 3 practice kit on the ACS Cozy page Item# 01-00588 was $172.05, that didn't exist when I started my project

Geesh! Thats getting very expensive for what amounts to some leftover scraps and some small cans of resin and hardener. Maybe somebody here could market a better paractice kit, for a better price. ALSO, you don't need the practice book if you've already got the plans to build (or the Aerocanard download plans Chapter 3).

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Geesh! Thats getting very expensive for what amounts to some leftover scraps and some small cans of resin and hardener. Maybe somebody here could market a better paractice kit, for a better price. ALSO, you don't need the practice book if you've already got the plans to build (or the Aerocanard download plans Chapter 3).

I don't know if you checked the link I gave, but the price of the practice kit is $79 and you can buy it without the book for $69 but if you haven't spent the $500 for the plans, then the book is invaluable, well, a $10 value :-) It was $49.95 when I bought it so yeah, it's gone up, but what hasn't? I was just curious if the $172 kit had some gold coins or a secret decoder ring that I needed to know about.

Actually I was trying to warn anyone that is paying attention, that there is a cheaper kit.

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com