Shin bangers/knee breakers

WileEZ

For the past couple years or so, I've been looking at canards and I know I will be building a canard sometime in the not too far off future.

Well it slowly percolated in my brain that there's maybe a problem with the canard wings, but I've never read anyone having a problem so this might be a non-issue.

How does one keep people from walking into the canard wings when it's parked? It seems to be a shin banger or knee breaker depending on how high it is parked.

I'm just curious about this as it apparently is not a real issue with the canard owners. Or is it?

WileEZ

WileEZ

"All of my ideas are suspect until proven otherwise!"

The only problem I had with the canard was at a air show where I was displaying my plane:

I left my plane unattended for a while while I got something to eat and checked out some other planes. When I returned, I see a family of five taking their annual family photo while sitting on my canard. URGH!@#$%$#

I have since made up several placards and I bungee them to the canard whenever I leave my plane unattended (airshows, flyins, overnight on the ramp, etc)

i.e. "Rules for looking at airplanes", "Moving a LongEZ"

Goto my web site :

www.iflyez.com

Look under DOWNLOADS / PLACARDS & MANUALS.

SIDE NOTE:

Of greater danger is the pitot tube. This will get kicked, bent, and broken by people walking on it or hitting it with their foot as they walk around the plane.

I replaced the plans aluminum tube (after it got broken off) with a piece of 3/16 stainless tube. The tube has survived many collisions, I can't say the same for the foot. :-)

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Thanks Waiter, Since no-one else has chimed in, I guess this is either a non-issue or other flyers are too embarrassed to chime in with their experience! ;)

I'm going to ask this same question over at the "new" Canard Aviation forum (http://forum.canardaviation.com) in the hope I can get more information on this.

WileEZ

WileEZ

"All of my ideas are suspect until proven otherwise!"

For the past couple years or so, I've been looking at canards and I know I will be building a canard sometime in the not too far off future.

Well it slowly percolated in my brain that there's maybe a problem with the canard wings, but I've never read anyone having a problem so this might be a non-issue.

How does one keep people from walking into the canard wings when it's parked? It seems to be a shin banger or knee breaker depending on how high it is parked.

I'm just curious about this as it apparently is not a real issue with the canard owners. Or is it?

WileEZ

It should appear to anyone walking around that it IS a potential shin-banger, and so anyone not blind will avoid it. Kinda like the trailing edge of Cessna's...once you have the experience, you learn to adapt. :D

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.