Thickness, Warp & Fill

lifewithoutanet

I'm researching materials and suppliers and have come across some pretty significant differences in pricing. Those differences in pricing, however, are not alone...they include differences in thickness, warp & fill of the materials.

Given two suppliers (carbon fiber for this example) of the same style (282) and same weave (plain), one supplier sells a .011" thickness w/ a 12x12 (WxF) for almost twice the cost per yard of the other suppliers .007" thickness w/ a 12.5x12.5 (WxF).

That's a pretty significant difference in thickness (approx 57% more)...less significant (apparently) in WxF.

My question is how truly significant are the differences in thickness and WxF between these materials?

Thanks.

-C.

My question is how truly significant are the differences in thickness and WxF between these materials?

They are very significant, The thickness or "weight" is based on the size or "strength" of the individual threads. By your example, the thicker material costs more because there is more material and it has a higher strength compared to each other. If you look at http://www.cstsales.com/carbon_fabric.html and read through the details, you'll see the differences. hope that helps

here's another short explanation http://composite.about.com/library/weekly/aa042897.htm

ps, its not remotely possible that they are the same fabrics!

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

ps, its not remotely possible that they are the same fabrics!

Back in March I bought a roll of 716 CF. I had quite a discussion with the folks at Hexcel in Texas where they actually manufacture the fabric. Some really smart people there. (The reason I talked to Hexcel in the first place was because Aircraft Spruce had pulled it saying that the military had a lock on all future supplies until the end of the war. After I talked with Hexcel, I called Spruce back to tell them that I had found a supplier. They soon offered it again ...... after adjusting the price.)

While I was talking with them, we went over many of the specifics of various weaves and fibers. They were so good as to provide me with all of the fabric specs for everything they produce.

It was truly amazing how the numbers published on various web sites varied for EXACTLY THE SAME FABRICS coming out of EXACTLY THE SAME PLANT.

I think they were pretty accurate with the info they put accross. Some folks will guess in an effort to sound knowledgeable ........ but if you want the straight stuff, talk to the folks that make it. They will make time to talk to you.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Thanks, guys. I'll ask about the manufacturers of the cloth and check the links provided. A point of clarification, though...

The thicker material is actually half the cost of the thinner material. That's right...

.011" thickness w/ a 12x12 WxF is around US$31 per yard where the .007" thickness w/ a 12.5x12.5 WxF is nearly double at US$58 per yard (each at 50" widths).

-C.

Here is the Hexcel Datasheet for this fabric.

A point of interest ......... on ALL CF product spec sheets that are available vis the web, Hexcel does not publish the breaking strength. Also of note:

The 282 CF has a thickness of 8.7 mils. That's not what you'll find on the ACS site but it is the same fabric coming out of the Texas plant.

I recently bought some of this to use on my intrument panel for a little extra 'snarkyness'. :D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done