New Guy

Charles Carroll

Hi Everyone,

I saw the Aero Canard a while back and liked the design. It is very much like what I would like to build, and I just read about the Mazda Rotory engine which I have been very seriously considering for my power plant. can you tell me more about the availability of the gear box I would need?

There was a Mazda powered plane at a fly-in in Oseola, WI a few years ago but I haven't been able to find him any place.

I owned an RX3 in the 70s, and it proformed exceptionally well, and I know the new RX8 engines run around $5,000 and have a high reliability record.(Per the local dealer)

Thanks, A lot of great info on this site.

Welcome!

I saw the Aero Canard a while back and liked the design. It is very much like what I would like to build, ...

The AeroCanard FG is the kit version of the Cozy Mark IV -- both great designs if I do say so msyelf. :-)

...and I just read about the Mazda Rotory engine which I have been very seriously considering for my power plant. can you tell me more about the availability of the gear box I would need?

Can't tell you about the gear box, other than that you need one to gear ~5,500 RPMs (?) down to ~2,200 RPMs (???).

There are few rotary canards at this point, with more in the works. Engine choice is not a critical decision at this point -- you can decide later.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

IMO, the place to get your redrive (gearbox), or more formally known as PSRU (prop speed reduction unit...or something close to that) is www.rotaryaviation.com from Real World Solutions (RWS). The owner/engineer is Tracy Crook and has other parts you will probably want/need. FWIW.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Yeah, I hope the best for Mistral. We bought their intake for my Velo's rotary. Beautiful piece of work. We would have spent much more for a much lesser item if'n we would have tried to make one ourselves.

I do have a concern that the powers at Mistral may be so convinced of their good engineering expecting all to flock to the better mousetrap, but may be kinda dropping the ball with marketing and more detail on their seldom updted website. IMAO.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...