Hidden Bellhorn: 2 kinks,1 kink or no kink?

rnbraud

Hello All,

I just cut the trough for the rudder conduit in my right wing. I am planning on installing the hidden bellhorns. The RAF plans call for the conduit to curve around the top outermost corner of the airelon, cleared by at least one inch, then angles down toward the trailing edge, and then curves again to become parallel to the trailing edge about 1.2 inches from it. This is how I just cut it.

aka 2 kinks

Now I have seen/read where some people simlply ran the conduit in a straight line from the root all the way across the wing to the 1.2 inch point forward of the trailing edge.

I believe the intent of this "direct" route is to obtain smoother motion of the cable/rudder without any bends. However, if we go directly from the root to this point the cable will be pointed aft towards the trailing edge and not parallel to it.

I was wondering if a compromise would be to go directly from the root to a point about 12 inches from the end and 1.2 inches above the T.E. then make one gradual curve to make the rest of the conduit parallel to the T.E. 1.2 inches forward.

I am just curious since the RAF routing creates two bends/kinks for the cable to "rub" against while this new routing would create only one bend/kink therefore making the cable movement smoother and yet still exiting parallel to the T.E.

What do you experts think??

• 7 months later...

The plans for the hidden bellhorns are retrofit, so you could just run them straight. That's what I did, works fine for me.:)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop