orphaned design?

rpellicciotti

In the most recent Sport Aviation, there is an excellent article about Long-EZ builders. The article mentions several times that the Long-EZ has been orphaned by the designer and that a lot of builders have given up on their projects because they don't have any support. The article goes on to describe a project that was successful due to the builder receiving local support and encouragement from another builder.

I was a little disappointed that the article did not feature more about the excellent community that has formed around this design. This forum, the CSA and others have done a remarkable job in keeping the design alive and actively supporting it.

One thing that would be nice for Mr. Rutan to do would be to make an announcement or statement that he is completely through with the design, the Canard Pushers have stopped, the RAF plans sales are over and he is relinquishing any rights to the design. I think this would go a long way towards energizing the Open-EZ project as some who are on the sidelines, worried about licensing, rights and copyrights would be free to join in.

Rick Pellicciotti

Belle Aire Aviation, Inc.

http://www.belleaireaviation.com

...a lot of builders have given up on their projects because they don't have any support.

We all know that's not why projects don't go complete.

One thing that would be nice for Mr. Rutan to do would be to make an announcement or statement that he is completely through with the design, the Canard Pushers have stopped, the RAF plans sales are over and he is relinquishing any rights to the design.

Something to that effect would be nice, but two things come to mind:

• I doubt it will happen, and
  • I'm not sure it's entirely necessary (read on...)

I think this would go a long way towards energizing the Open-EZ project as some who are on the sidelines, worried about licensing, rights and copyrights would be free to join in.

That's a good point. I know there are many out there (particularly those that bought and built from plans sold by RAF) that feel there's some sort of "certification" with having a license to build signed by Mr. Rutan that gives one the right to build one of these things. The fact of the matter is that many of the recent Long-EZs have been built from copied plans and with no support from the RAF. If anything, I think Mr. Rutan would rather see those planes referred to anything but 'Long-EZs'. That's where the Open-EZ comes in.

At some point the prior generation of builders will come to accept that new EZs are being built, and that some may be referred to as an Open-EZ. It's just going to take some time.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I have an idea! Why doesn't Mr. Rutan sell the rights to Aircraft Spruce (or someone else) who would then allow the sale of plans and such for useage, which would allow people to build Longs? :D

S. Williams

Until then, I have an Open EZ in my future LOL (working on plans etc)

After listening to Burt's talk at Oshkosh,

I do not believe he will ever sell his plans.

It's all about supporting builders during construction.

Nat's years of devotion to his COZY greatly exceeded

the mear $500.00 he sold each set of plans for!

John

Burt's withdrawal of all RAF designs came after a ridiculous lawsuit that threatened to stop his career before any of his record-breakers of the last 20 years. This experience scarred him. His stopping of support has more to do with his lack of time because of his current business, but being sued was a huge contributor.

That being said, Burt is a strong supporter of people who toil in their garages and build planes of any type. If you ask him an EZ-related question, he will answer you, but he's worked hard to get where he is now, and isn't inclined to open himself to more liabilities that would jeopardize his business or family's well being.

RAF doesn't exist anymore. Web forums, the CSA, and e-mail lists have come in to fill the void for support. There are many people working independently to refine or improve this breed of aircraft, and in the future, it will not matter that Burt has stepped away from his original designs.

-- Len

-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283

Do you need a Flightline Chair, or other embroidered aviation accessory?