Building in Texas

HardKnox

I've read a lot of posts about keeping your environment warm enough, but what is the typical max temp for a layup? My workshop can get very hot. I built my first airplane in there, but it was mostly metal with non-structural fiberglass components.

I'm guessing its better to store epoxy in the house rather than the ups and down temps of an unairconditioned shop.

Are there any other considerations for building in Texas? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

HK

Howdy. I keep my resin & hardener at around 90 degrees in a box with a lightbulb in it. I wouldn't care about the ups and downs, as long as it's nice and warm when I'm about to use it. If the temps get below 55 in your shop, you might want to store in the house. I wouldn't worry about being too hot (up to 120 degrees?).

The warmer the air is when you're working, the more likely you'll see an exotherm which is really no big deal -- just don't mix so much epoxy at once, or spread it out right away (spread epoxy tends not to exotherm; it happens mostly when it's in the cup).

Are there any other considerations for building in Texas?

I'm sure someone has a joke for that, but I'm out right now. :)

Welcome aboard!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I have my MGS in a hotbox with a single 60W bulb. Temp avg. 105F.

It must be nice to have the ability to control the temperature. The epoxy loves high temp environments as it spreads so easily. Just don't sweat on the part during layups. :)

IIRC, older epoxy have trouble with high humidity.

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

• 1 month later...

Are there any other considerations for building in Texas? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Where in TX?

We haven't had any significant problems in the Summer (hot + wet) months in TX when using both West (105/206) and EZ-Poxy (10/84).

The West will kick off pretty quick when it's warm outside if you're using more than a couple of pumps at a time. Even at room temp the cup will start to get a little warmer as soon as you start stirring. However, if you're reasonably fast at getting it on the cloth then all is well.

The EZ-Poxy never seems to do anything fast even when it's 100+ out. I haven't had EZ-Poxy kick off in my hands with "big" batches (~180 g), but I also don't wait long between the cup and the cloth.

The Winter months stink if you don't have a hot box AND a heated workspace. The EZ hardener crystallizes when it gets too cold and must be "melted" back to the liquid state before use. Neither system will wet out nor cure worth a hoot in cool temps (< 60 deg).

D

FWIW, I use MGS 285 and it crystalizes to the point where I wouldn't consider it "pump friendly". I have had it exotherm in the summer, but in the winter I actually appreciate it's "sluggish" behavior. I keep it warm, and the area to be glassed warm, but am relaxed knowing that the room is cooling it to 60 degrees and it's not curing until I say so with a heat tent and small heater. I have plenty of time to work it into shape.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV