Lost eze driver home at last

Thought I should say Hi and quit lurking. My name is STeve Harmon. I built a long back in the 80's. My family was growing at the time and so after a couple of years of flying I reluctantly sold my prize possesion rather than just taking the wings off and putting it in the garage. Well 16 years later after a move to Idaho most of the kids are gone and the need for speed is back. I have decided to build a Cozy IV I am the proud owner of plans set # 1466 I would love to just run out and buy everything I need and start building and have it done in a couple of years. But alas the finances arnt that great so I will be building this over the long term as the money comes. Keeps my better half happy that way. I really enjoy all your comments hopehttp://www.canardzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=492&stc=1&d=1159847516fully over the next few years I will get to meet some of you to put faces to all the names. Steve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Welcome Steve! Glad to have you here. That's quite a story, almost sad, but with a happy ending brewing. I also appreciate your "shoestring" post -- there's a temptation to spend more money than you need up front before you realize what is actually required. At least that's how it has been for me.

You mentioned Brock, and am not sure if you know that the new company serving our needs is "CG Products" at www.cozygirrrl.com

So where are you in the process? Have your shop ready yet? Having been there and done that it would be great if you could kick us new builders along so that we don't end up spending too much time making perfect bulkheads, etc.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Since Idaho is a lot colder than Ca. I am re-insulating my shop. I am in the process of doing that as I write this.I appreciate the link to the Cozy girls site I have already visited them. I have a machine shop and a tig Welder I plan on making every metal part myself. No offence to the Girls Remember I am building on a shoe string. The sale of my old Longeze paid for the Machine shop. It would be an insult to its memory to not put the shop to use. In a former life I was a tool and die maker and certified welder so Fabrication work is something I am used to doing.

Aircraft spruce was on the way home from work for me when I built the Long so this mail order stuff will be new to me. I used to live in Riverside Ca. for 20 years. I think a lot of guys when they start building get all excited and go out and buy the chapter kits and dont think about what they really need and how long it will last the first chapters basically need fiberglass foam and epoxy. I allready have all the tools from my first plane. I seem to like the building better than the flying. Dont take me wrong though I love to fly. Have a good one.

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=493&stc=1&d=1159895751

Here is a pic. of my insulation project in my shop. Hope to be done today. STeve

post-1584-141090154419_thumb.jpg

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Gotcha on the machinist part of you -- that's a great skill to have. For us mortals who don't have the skills or the equipment, the Cozy Girrrls are putting out some great stuff. Having suppliers is a good thing.

What's your technique for trimming cured glass? Know about the Fein MultiMaster tool?

Any tips to build more cheaply or quickly are certainly welcome!

I always trimmed at the plastic stage. Never heard of the fein tool until I started checking out all the different builders that are building presently. Sounds like a nice tool maybe not necessary but can anyone really have to many nice tools? Sorry I am late in replying just got back from catching my limit of trout. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

It has been said by those that have completed these planes that the Fein MultiMaster would save "many hours" of building time AND free you from being tied to chasing the "chewing gum" stage (for those that do that).

Personally, I REALLY appreciate the fact that there are no spinning parts and MUCH less dust than other methods I have tried. It's also much quicker, cutting through 1 or many plies of cured glass rather easily.

I am looking forward to following your progress.