finding the correct materials

I am wanting to build a openez. I have the plans from the TERF CD and I am trying to price some supplies. Looking at foam I have a few questions. looking on wicks and aircraft spruce the foam available dont match the plans. example. Plans call for say R45 but now things are listed as H45 I guess it is the same. Plans call for 16 lb/ft^3 but I only see 15.6. Thicknesses are also off plans everything is in decimal points and when purchasing its in fractions. Even when converting fractions to decimals they do not match.

Can anyone help me with this.

Lynn

I haven't ordered parts for mine yet (still working on the unified templates), but AFAIK, the Wicks parts are the 'right' ones these days. There have been more than a few chances to the composites landscape since 1979, and these are the results thereof. I'm unconcerned. Wicks has been providing these parts for a very long time...I trust them.

You will want the decimal tape measure from the Cozy Grrrils tool kit though.

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Be sure to read through ALL of the Canard Pushers if you're building an Open-EZ. Any and all plans and material changes are in there.

...(still working on the unified templates)...

Cool... waiting patiently... :)

...but AFAIK, the Wicks parts are the 'right' ones these days. There have been more than a few chances to the composites landscape since 1979, and these are the results thereof. I'm unconcerned. Wicks has been providing these parts for a very long time...I trust them.

I feel the same way, even when ordering for my Cozy -- the lbs/ft^3 are not exactly as the Cozy plans, but close enough for me.

The one thing you want to look out for is to be sure NOT to use urethane foam on the sides, which is a very brittle foam that will eventually contribute to delamination problems. Urethane foam was originally used for VariEzes and early Long-EZs, and has since been substituted with PVC foam in one of the Canard Pushers (again, read them all).

You will want the decimal tape measure from the Cozy Grrrils tool kit though.

I bought most of the stuff piece-meal, before their "kit" came out. I still don't have a decimal tape measure, and wonder when I'll actually need it. I've been converting decimal inches to centimeters or other fractions of an inch when I need. I suspect if I had a conversion chart that I could get away with not having a decimal tape measure through the whole project (assuming I'm buying all my metal parts). Then again... it's only $20 or so...

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Cool... waiting patiently... :)

I've been slowed significantly with some insane work hours recently...I havent' seen the sun in a week or two. It should be letting up soon...I hope...

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.