Is the Long EZ big enough for a 6'-2" person

Benrad

Hey,

I was with Gaetan Roy at the St-Hyacinth airport where is Cozy sleep during the winter. I sat in it and I found out that I was to big for the plane.

I am 6'-2" and weigh 238 pound. Will I find a Long EZ that fit me.

If you know of a plane for sale in my Area (Montreal), please let me know.

Thanks for all the help, still very interested to be an owner.

Your height shouldn't be a problem...as I recall, the designer (Burt Rutan) was a fellow in our height range (I'm 6'4"). Width may be an issue, depending on your build. Was the Cozy you sat in an original or a mkIV? The original is extremely cramped for big people, as it's more like a LongEZ and a half wide for 2 seats. The mkIV is wider and much more reasonable for 2 across.

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

It must have been an earlier Cozy model because I had hard time fitting my leg through the opening to reach the pedal, my shoulder were in very tight and when he close the canopy I had to bend my neck to be be it.

I figure that a Long EZ could be more comfortable, am I correct to assume this.

Thanks for the reply

I figure that a Long EZ could be more comfortable, am I correct to assume this.

Maybe, maybe not. The stock Long is about 17" wide at the hips, and 22" at the shoulders, give or take a little. Figure 41" or more for seat-to-pedal length. The Cozy mkIV is 16, 39 (total), and 39.5 respectively, according to what I found online. The Long does have more restrictive leg holes than the Cozy mkIV...the left leg hole is a hare over 7.5" wide, the right one is about 6.5", both are around 9.25 tall. The CozyIV uses a single large hole for both legs (one for each person), though I don't know the dimensions. I'm not sure what kind of leg room the original Cozy has, but I know it's less than either the mkIV or the LongEZ.

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

My hangarmate is better than 6-2 and your weight. He fits JUST FINE into his Long-EZ. He did wish he had moved the seatback an inch rearward. As it is, he simply carved away some of the foam in the seatback, making it like a bucket seat.

You should be fine in a Long EZ.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

• 2 months later...

The fuselage that I'm building is 1 inch wider than the plans. It's simple, just add a half inch to the width of the fuselage bulkheads. I know a guy who's fuselage is 2" wider than plans and his works just fine...

I'm 6ft2" and 270lbs, and it's a sensational fit. I do fly with my arms in the strakes actually (if there's room) for added comfort. I also removed the foam from front seat to instrument panel both sides and stiffened with CFRP/Glass. I also lowered the thigh support (and panel leg holes) 1" although this is not necessarily. EVERYONE I meet asks how I fit, and it is like an armchair. Superb. Best seat around.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 1

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Moose replied to the automatic e-mail notification with this message:

Wayne

Actually, Mike Mellville was gracious enough to let me clamber in and around his plane today at lunch and I made the same discovery; fit's like a glove.

However, since I've already made the bulkheads, I'll probably keep them and just be thankful for a little extra space in the panel (and symetrical leg holes, the other reason I wanted more width...)

Adam

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Adam,

From memory, Mike's aircraft has the front seat moved forward somewhat from the plans specified location.. I may be wrong... It was recommended for shorter builder/pilots some years ago in the CP.

On reflection, I would probably have considered adding volume to the rear seat. I was 17 when I built my fuselage sides, so didn't think ahead... You could also widen the firewall and backseat - This would push your spar blocks out, changes to your gear leg mounting, and your engine mount will need to be custom along with cowls, but I know a number of people who have widened the firewall significantly with great success.

Cheers

- Wayne

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Wayne

Actually what I did was just add a half inch to each side of the bulkheads, so that's taken care of. As for rear seat volume, I'd probably have to lenghten the fuselage (not just the nose, which is gonna be biiiggg) and I'm not sure I want to do that structurally. If it's been done before I'd love to know though. A little room for the gib would rock.

Thanks

Adam

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of questions along the same line.

I am an ex football player... and larger than the person who started this thread (6'5 and around 400 lbs).

Is there a 4 seat version of the design that I could convert to a 3 place?

Any way to add 6 inches (more?) to the width? I basically fill a normal doorway, and most of those planes look, from a distance, like they would hold 1 leg.

Thanks for any help and information,

Brian.

(_x_)

Adam (Moose?) replied again via e-mail to me:

Brian

I'm 6'2 220 and I fit in my modified fuselage just fine. I'd also say that as long as you make the bulkheads out of the correct type of foam and use the right layup schedule, you can widen the fuse as much as you want.

Basically, you can change anything you want on an ez as long as it's not the wings, canard or winglets.

However, If you want a straight set of plans for a four or three place try the cozy MK IV, which is just a wider long ez with four seats or hunt around for a set of cozy classic plans (the original versi0on of the cozy with only three seats.) Cozy classic plans aren't on the market anymore, but you could easily modify a MK IV or get in touch with David Orr (Beagle) at canardfinder and see if he can find you a set. He probably can, he can find just about anything.

Finally, do a google search for something called a 'stagger-ez.' I don't know who built it but it's a highly modified long ez with three seats.

I would say the easiest way is to get a set of Cozy Mk IV plans, build it to plans and then only put one person in the back seat (Cozy Mk IV plans are available for aircraft spruce.)

I hope all this helps, write back if you have any more questions.

Adam

Adam, replying to the auto-notification message doesn't work.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV